Tec 2 cycle help

I saw an engine on ebay and I bought it. I have owned a couple of little tec 2 stroke engines in the past, but not like this one.

The part number is listed as 1574B Can someone please tell me what I just bought? I have seen listings that say the 15 refers to HP. (not likely)
Or displacement. 15 CID is a pretty big 2 stroke.
Anyway, I was bidding on a West Bend and I did not get that one but this thing was a related item, and it looks like a vintage 2 stroke kart engine, so I bought it for $39.41
What is it?

Last edited:

markus

show pictures of the tag on it, it will have the model number. The smaller 1500 series were AH520 , usually like 2 and 2 1/4HP

markus

when it comes in look at the backside of the tag and it may have the date code on it. again its an AH520 5.2 ci and in the 80cc range IIRC . when they would give/show HP ratings it was in the 2 and 2.25 range. Used on little 2 smoke snowblowers etc..

markus

The back of the tag says May 20, 1976.
This looks like a fun little engine.
just ran across town and picked this NOS slightly newer version up Its a 1582 spec from 1979 price was right not sure what it was doing down here in FL…….. you need to come back on here and tell me you just found/bought something a little more rare and desirable....maybe lightning will strike again and basically the same thing will appear local for a song :D

IMG_4188.jpeg IMG_4189.jpeg IMG_4190.jpeg

My backyard garage and my woodworking equipment run on solar and wind. I have been thinking about using this little engine to spin a 100 amp alternator to charge my 12 volt battery bank during cloudy days in the shop.
I was reading about blocking off the intake port and installing a reed plate at the bottom of the crank case.
Tec # 470150 looks like it would fit.

After reading and searching for parts and information about these engines, I see there were three fairly common sizes. 520, 600 and about 850.
Most had fixed throttles, allowing the governor to adjust for load. I have learned the connecting rod is the weak link.
HOWEVER, evidently there was a steel or bronze rod for the chainsaw version. (85-139 cc chainsaw? Never seen such a beast.)
There was an ice auger version that had a throttle, does not appear to have a governor, has a centrifugal clutch and gear reduction transmission bolted on.
I have never used an ice auger, but I think they might have one of those strong rods in them and allegedly a higher compression head.
Can anybody verify any of this before jump in the rabbit hole and buy one?