Briggs kick start engines

Not something I want to get into, but these look interesting.

Briggs and Stratton kick start engines

They were made for washing machines.

that thing looks pretty rough

Banned
    looks like a 1/2 hp for a washing machine. i have a guy locally selling one and its complete and runs i think he wants 250. his is a 1938, so that one is probably old...

Those are cool, but like Smoky mentioned, for their size they do not put out much hp. I have one that is about the size of a 3 hp engine. It is very heavy, and only 1 3/4 hp. Someone will snatch them up though. They are collectible.

Here are a couple of early Briggs kick start engines. The first is not a good picture because I was too lazy to dig it out. It's a approx. 1918..as I recall the model is FH. I paid $100 for it. Note the overhead valve set up. The other is a really good running, I believe it is called a model Y, Briggs with a really long pedal. The things in green tape are the original air cleaner and the pedal return spring. Note that it still has the original spark plug wire and its in good shape. I collect hit and miss engines but will pick up a early Briggs when I can find them. That one was a sleeper at a yard sale and went home with me for $15.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, I know a guy who a whole shelving unit along the 40ft long wall in his shop dedicated to those old kick starts, he had them appraised all together for about $10,000.

Hangin with Neck and GTO The Restore Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsalt View Post
    Here are a couple of early Briggs kick start engines. The first is not a good picture because I was too lazy to dig it out. It's a approx. 1918..as I recall the model is FH. I paid $100 for it. Note the overhead valve set up. The other is a really good running, I believe it is called a model Y, Briggs with a really long pedal. The things in green tape are the original air cleaner and the pedal return spring. Note that it still has the original spark plug wire and its in good shape. I collect hit and miss engines but will pick up a early Briggs when I can find them. That one was a sleeper at a yard sale and went home with me for $15.
    YOU !!!!!!!

15 dollar Model Y briggs? Ever look into what that dirty slut is worth nowwa days? Y is damn old.. 1930's era.. Older the better with Briggs engines.. Last I knew W's were up over 100... Y's are 200 plus all day long..

Quote Originally Posted by The Restore Kid View Post
    YOU !!!!!!!

15 dollar Model Y briggs? Ever look into what that dirty slut is worth nowwa days? Y is damn old.. 1930's era.. Older the better with Briggs engines.. Last I knew W's were up over 100... Y's are 200 plus all day long..
    Sometimes I get lucky. Usually, however, I pay too much. But in the long run even if you pay too much the day will come when you are patting yourself on the back for buying it. Same goes for minibikes! The $200 minibike days are over [unless you just get lucky].