`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

no spark 3.5 briggs

ok here goes i have a 3.5 briggs motor used to be on a generator and it ran on my mini bike. but it sat for the winter and now it has spark when i put my finger in the wire and ground my finger wow what a jolt .
good spark there. when i put the plug on it and ground the plug no spark the plug is good i tested it on my tecumsh engine. i changed the coil or magneto
this engine has no points and condenser it has a alumininum piece on the flywheel .
there is a business card space between the mag and the flywheel.
and with the new coil i am still getting the spark to my finger but not to the plug . any ideas would be greatly appreciated .
hotroded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

test it with a screwdriver not your finger. If it can jump a small gap to the block it should be fine if your plug tested good. Make sure your connection to the plug is tight also
jeep2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

um dude points are behind the fly wheel
milo raptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

If it has wires running behind the flywheel, you have points and condensor. If it has a extra piece on the coil, and no wires running under the flywheel, you have a Magnetron,or Magnatron, whichever. Clean the ends of the coil that pickup the magnet on the flywheel, the magnet too wouldn't hurt. Try a new plug too. If you have points, clean or replace them and set them to .015.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

post pics of the engine
Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
If it has wires running behind the flywheel, you have points and condensor. If it has a extra piece on the coil, and no wires running under the flywheel, you have a Magnetron,or Magnatron, whichever. Clean the ends of the coil that pickup the magnet on the flywheel, the magnet too wouldn't hurt. Try a new plug too. If you have points, clean or replace them and set them to .015.
yes the wires run off the magnatron there are no points and when u use a screw driver there is no spark unless you are like a hairs thickness away from the bolt to get spark.
the spark is blue also when it sparks across just no spark to the plug the plug is good i tested it on my other minibike engine.
this is just stumping the crap out of me the magnatron is new too.
thanks for the input
Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroded View Post
yes the wires run off the magnatron there are no points and when u use a screw driver there is no spark unless you are like a hairs thickness away from the bolt to get spark.
the spark is blue also when it sparks across just no spark to the plug the plug is good i tested it on my other minibike engine.
this is just stumping the crap out of me the magnatron is new too.
thanks for the input
Hold on to it and give her a little pull. it cant hurt you, if it knocks you on your :censored: or raises the hair on your neck its good
bandit 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm not sure on Briggs , but Clintons had to jump a 5/32-3/16" gap to be considered good.
Yours is probably weak. If you have one on another engine, swap it and try it. I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. If you have wires running behind the flywheel, from the coil, you have points.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
I'm not sure on Briggs , but Clintons had to jump a 5/32-3/16" gap to be considered good.
Yours is probably weak. If you have one on another engine, swap it and try it. I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. If you have wires running behind the flywheel, from the coil, you have points.
i understood you the only wires running out are from the new coil or magneto that is on top of the flywheel .
one wire is bare that is grounded to the bolt where the coil mounts and the other comes out and mounts to the kill switch right.
i just took the new coil offand sanded the bottom of the new coil and the flywheel all the way around then where the coil mounted i sanded that too.
still no spark at the plug when its grounded ,but if i hold the coil wireand hold the engine i get a zap also when i hold it with a screw driver itit only will spark when i am a hair away but its blue I thought you used to be able to get a good spark to shoot from alittle distance like 3/16or better?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

it really seems like the wire you said goes to the kill switch is the wire that would need to go to the points. That would make sense because it would still have spark just no points to give the energy any point of focus thus making it less intense. The kill switch should have its own wire to the same location on the condensor
jeep2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Tags
briggs, spark