`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

briggs 5hp supercharger ideas ?

Well, i got thinking about briggs, more particuraly getting more power out of a small engine, what do you guys think about a SMOG pump hook the pully to a pully on the output shaft of the briggs, then a pipe ( rad hose ? [clamped] ) to the intake of the briggs then hooked up to the SMOG pump to act as a small supercharger ( it revs and forces air in the motor ) maybe like a 7 lb rad cap for a blow off incase the psi gets to high, what do u guys think . ?
Wideopenthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Others have tried it. Maybe you'll find some helpful info in these vids.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry about the pressure getting too high making something like you are talking about. If your using stock engine parts, making some kind of supercharger that would give you a pound or two would probably be good. I would get some type of gauge and hook it up to the intake so you can tell whats going on. Just don't try using a whole second engine as a supercharger like I have seen some people try on you tube, obviously there is going to be way more loss than gain. I was always going to make something up by welding up a centrifugal blower, maybe using some crank seals on the shaft. A roots type supercharger would be too tough to make up with just a welder and hand tools.
mr.modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, im going to try to get 5lbs out of the 5 hp, :) i think it should get interesting i was reading up last night and someones head on a 5hp blew right off.
Wideopenthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Smog pumps are inefficient and will not supply shit for boost in a radiator hose. Maybe in a fuel line, but the smog idea is a joke and willnot work. If you want a belt driven supercharger get a small Turbo off an 80's Volvo and replace the ex. side with a pulley. Then run 112 race gas! Orrrr you could get a whippit bottle and nitrous cartridges and I think it could totally be possible to run spray on a small engine. Hotrod magazine put 4 leafblowers on a 84 vette and gained some HP. I bet an electric leafblower on a mini would provide a nice boost.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

All of that has been done already.what you would spend on R&D you could buy a bigger motor and still go out to eat.
texasfabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

for some reason I cant see how a turbo built for a car that has roughly 120 hp, would ever work on a 5 hp...doesnt matter what you do to it.

someone needs to man up and make a supercharger with a CNC machine

thatd be sick to see a little briggs with a g-lader on the side
Mikesbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Haha funny you say that because with the right pulley sizes and a blow off valve it will work.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

ive been wanting to do somthing like that for a while, i say try it, ive heard alot of good about the smog pump idea..
dashben_01440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

even at 100% increase that only 10hp.

You are going to get a bunch telling you to just do it,of course they will have nothing vested in it. I'm all for trying new things but repeating someone else's mistakes is a sign of stupidity, fixing someone's mistakes is genius. research well before starting.
texasfabguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Tags
5hp, briggs, smog pump, supercharger