`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gas Cap leak

I have two Briggs and Stratton engines (91202 model) with the plastic cap. Both of them leak from around the rubber seal on the cap. I tried a new cap and it still leaks. For my first one I used gasket maker suitable for gas and made another gasket, and put it between the rubber gasket and the cap. This works somewhat but not perfect. Do any of you have any ideas as to why these motors leak from the cap(is this a common thing with these engines) and how to solve this problem? I searched around the site and could not find anything specific for these motors.
Thanks
motorhead57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks miniwood, it doesn't make sense as to why it takes several caps that are all the same. Also one of these tanks is rusty, I searched the forum and read that evaporust is good at eating away the rust, but what do you guys do after you clean it so it doesn't come back?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Can you take pictures? My old honda clone leaked from under the gas cap. It wasn't much, so I just didn't worry about it. Does it leak only when the tank is full? Also, the best way to keep rust off the tank is paint. You can do it really cheap with a can of rustoleum. As long as water doesn't get in the tank, and the outside is painted, you are fine.
Sandcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

It leaks at any level of gas when it splashes around in the tank. I can't take pictures at the moment but it looks completely normal. I will try to take some pictures later if I can. About the inside of the tank: I cleaned the inside from rust and a few weeks later the bottom of the tanks looks to have the color of rust on it. Is this something to worry about? Should I put a tank sealer on my other tank before using it after removing rust? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead57 View Post
It leaks at any level of gas when it splashes around in the tank. I can't take pictures at the moment but it looks completely normal. I will try to take some pictures later if I can. About the inside of the tank: I cleaned the inside from rust and a few weeks later the bottom of the tanks looks to have the color of rust on it. Is this something to worry about? Should I put a tank sealer on my other tank before using it after removing rust? Sorry for all the questions.
Rust Remover - RustBlast - Metal Prep Primer - Metal Etch Don't know if that was exactly it but same type of product. will take a pic of the bottle later. Worked great on one of my tank after you found a way to scrape the rust all off the sides. Made it gummy. But let me scrape it out very easily. And the product I have is reusable if its a light job, not sure if this stuff is. But the coating it leaves behind inhibits rust from reforming on the bare metal.

Shouldn't be a problem unless it starts fowling up your carb. On the other hand I cant imagine rust anywhere is good.
Flexmod3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Tags
briggs & stratton, gas cap, leaking