`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Threaded hole in the bottom of my Raptor carb

Hi guys, I bought a new in box stock Raptor carb and I was looking at it today and noticed that it has a threaded hole in the bottom of the carb, which looks to be for if you are running a stock style Briggs air filter to put the bolt through and screw into. The problem is that I will be using a velocity stack adapter to use a K&N style filter. I first thought that I could just screw a short bolt into it from underneath to seal it off, but it will hit the tank. What have some of you guys done to close it up?

OMB forever, forever OMB.
Clayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

what about an allen head plug like a setscrew?
YOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Clayon, where did you purchase the carb? It looks to be a Briggs flathead carb with choke. I ask because I purchased a new Raptor carb in the box and mine has no choke set up or threaded hole. I know raptor part numbers start with 555. Do you still have your original box? You can see the difference between mine and yours at this link...

Rieken's Racing: Raptor Carb Parts - OUT2WIN.COM
The_Ruppster_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Your right, mine must not be a Raptor carb, I can't find the box, it was kinda rough when I got it so I might have thrown it out. That's kinda too bad, but oh well.

That's a good idea Yoop, I'll see if I have a set screw that size.

I'll still look for the box and see if I can find the part number.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Clayon,
The Ruppster 86 is 100% correct. True "Raptor" carbs do not have a choke lever/plate or the mount/casting with threaded hole at the bottom for an air cleaner bolt. Those items take up valuable space which reduces the air flow through the carb. What you have there is a NOS "regular" Briggs 5 HP carb. If the seller represented this carb as a "Raptor" carb you got screwed. I sure hope it was not an OMB member...
Michael
creia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
TBK

Get 2 short set screws and put one on top of the other. Cant rattle out then. Almost ate a bolt thru the carb this weekend. Jammed WOT.
TBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I put a screw threw the bottom of mine and it is workimg great. No issues at all. Just ground the head flat enough for clearence.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creia View Post
Clayon,
The Ruppster 86 is 100% correct. True "Raptor" carbs do not have a choke lever/plate or the mount/casting with threaded hole at the bottom for an air cleaner bolt. Those items take up valuable space which reduces the air flow through the carb. What you have there is a NOS "regular" Briggs 5 HP carb. If the seller represented this carb as a "Raptor" carb you got screwed. I sure hope it was not an OMB member...
Michael
No Michael it wasn't an OMB member, it was a guy on bob's 4 cycle forum. I'm disappointed, I paid $65 shipped for it, but it's not like this carb won't work fine, the flathead I'm building is really basic. Billet flywheel, billet con. rod, 94ss cam, stiffer springs, etc.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Clayon,
That is a real shame, and "it could not have happened to a nicer guy" as the saying goes. You are a true gentleman and valuable asset on this forum. Your forum "etiquette", demeanor, and courtesy are duly noted (and appreciated) by this OMB member. (Others could learn from you!)
Just to be clear and so you know, the true "Raptor" carbs are engineered and built differently (better) than "regular" Briggs 5 Hp for improved/increased air flow. With the performance build you are doing, I believe that you will lose some performance on the top end with this carb, but I do not know by how much.
Michael
creia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

If that was a NOS carb you still did alright, especially with shipping to Canada. Its just a shame you didn't get as great a deal as you thought.
rmm727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Tags
bottom, carb, hole, raptor, threaded