`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > General MiniBike Talk > Doodlebug MiniBikes

Doodlebug MiniBikes Click here for the new Baja Motorsports Forum

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Doodlebug won't stay running

I bought a baja doodlebug about a month ago and haven't had any problems until yesterday. It suddenly got very hard to start and when it does start, it will only idle for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. Any attempt to rev it during that 5 seconds results in it immediately shutting off. Since I know very little about small engine repair, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
chbg17201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

check the carb , air filter somtimes the choke will stick take the carb off and spray carb cleaner in to it every little spot you can it could dirty in one of the jet holes . try it
jim fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

swap in a clone.

like Jim said, start by cleaning out the carb. it doesn't take much to clog a jet.
Strigoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lightbulb Can of carb cleaner good as gold!

Get a can of carb cleaner with an extension tube, take out the carb adjustment screws and spray cleaner liberally inside until you see it coming out the inside of
the carb.

This usually does the trick 4 me.

Also, if you have a fuel line, cut and install an inline filter. This will help with future carb problems.

Good luck and happy puttering!!!
Vaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxian View Post

Also, if you have a fuel line, cut and install an inline filter. This will help with future carb problems.
i've had a bunch of random crap show up in my filter. i'm glad it didn't make it into the carb/engine.
Strigoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
i've had a bunch of random crap show up in my filter. i'm glad it didn't make it into the carb/engine.
Oh Yea, it's surprising the amount of crud that ends up in your tank, all it takes is one tiny piece to end up in the carb and

The most important things in my shop are my can of carb cleaner and a box of filters, they've both saved me a lot of frustration.

One reason I dislike the carb/tank combos by B&S, no way to install a filter.
Vaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll get a can of carb cleaner this weekend and try it.
chbg17201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Don

Ours were doing the same thing. I tried everything and finally raised the idle speed just to the point that the bikes almost want to move on their own. That fixed them.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

i just got my db on thursday ($150 could not have more than 5hrs on it)it started rite up when i went to buy it. brought it home went to take it 4 a cruise now the wont even try to start. i tried to spray starter fluid in to it and nothing. ill try the taking the carb off next.
trudgen3@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

trugen3, where did you get your DB for $150? I'm looking for a second one?
bucksboysdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > General MiniBike Talk > Doodlebug MiniBikes

Tags
doodlebug, running, stay, won't