`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > General MiniBike Talk > Doodlebug MiniBikes

Doodlebug MiniBikes Click here for the new Baja Motorsports Forum

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Doodlebug engine runs but won't engage the clutch

Hello OMB Friends,

Three years ago I bought the Greyhound/Lifan 6.5 hp engine swap kit and slapped it on my Doodlebug.

I loved my Doodlebug but then let it sit for a couple years. I'm now bringing it back to life but having some trouble.

The engine now runs fine but the clutch for some reason won't engage and make the chain rotate to make the minibike move.

I was hoping you could advise me on how to troubleshoot this.

Here is a little background on this:
1.) I let the Doodlebug sit for two years without draining the gas or oil
2.) I drained the gas and oil recently
3.) I washed the gas tank out thoroughly
4.) I replaced the fuel line that I had accidentally ripped
5.) I cleaned the carburetor thoroughly
6.) I added new oil and gas recently

The chain is on and the clutch looks like it is spinning... but it just won't move the chain (and the minibike).

The engine runs fine and when I rev the throttle it gets louder and looks like the clutch spins faster but it doesn't move the chain.

I have the Max Torque Clutch.

I'm hoping you can help me since this website has always been very helpful before.

If need be, I can always take a picture of my configuration if that helps to provide more details that I'm now missing.

Thanks in advance. Any and all advice is much appreciated.
Klorm
klorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

You will probably need to remove the clutch and take it apart. Could be its rusted tight and the weights are locked up or rusted inside and just slips. Either way your money ahead taking it off for a good cleaning and oil the brass bushing. Good Luck
Bill Ellerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm with Bill....
If the engine is in fact revving up and sounds good, but the clutch is not engaging to spin your wheel, there is something internally not right with your clutch. Maybe the spring busted loose?

This is a very helpful thread and will show you what's inside the clutch and what to look for.

max torque clutch install and oiling
mmisterbungl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Smile

Thank you Bill and Mmisterbungl.

I will read that thread and try that out.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I had searched for "clutch" on this site but my overly broad search resulted in too many results to practically sift through.

Klorm
Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klorm View Post
I had searched for "clutch" on this site but my overly broad search resulted in too many results to practically sift through.

Klorm
That's why we need the DIY SECTION

Hint Hint Hent Hint.....
Old 09-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Smile Could be an engine problem on second thought

HI Again Guys,

I lifted the back wheel and gunned the throttle and can get the rear wheel moving albeit slowly. The engine just doesn't seem to have the power that it did originally.

I'm thinking it could possibly be an engine issue. So I shot a short two-minute video on me starting it up and revving up the throttle. I'm hoping one of you could perhaps remotely diagnose this and perhaps point me in the right direction.

Here is my short two-minute video I just shot here:

Thanks in advance. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

thanks,
Klorm
Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Are you sure when you give it full throttle the lever the cable is attached to on the carb is moving? Put the bike up on a crate to run it and try moving the throttle on the carb manually. If it moves and still doesn't increase rpm you have a fuel problem, ie your carb is not getting more fuel to increase your power. Had this problem on a briggs intek, swapped carb and that fixed it for riding. I then super cleaned the old carb and put it on another motor and it runs great. Good Luck
Bill Ellerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

I do see something wrong, but it shouldn't be your problem.
Your chain should be on the TOP of that round rubber roller thingy (called a chain tensioner).

Other than that, it all looks good, but your carb might not opening all the way like Bill said.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ok, you should be able to see the governor arm sticking out underneath the gas tank (see what i'm pointing at in this photo).

Push that manually with your finger while the rear tire is off the ground. Push it as far as it will go (not with force though). If your carb is functioning properly, your engine should rev high. let us know. Keep in mind, I have a different throttle set up, but if you push on the gov arm it should rev.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Smile Thanks again guys... I'll try both of what you advised

Hi Bill and Mmisterbungl,

Thanks again for your advice. I'll try it out and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Klorm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > General MiniBike Talk > Doodlebug MiniBikes

Tags
clutch, doodlebug