Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Baja MB200 vs. Monster Dog II

I have been looking to buy a mini bike and have come to the two larger frame models that look like they will actually hold up to my 220 lb self: The Baja Motorsports MB200 (made 50 miles from my house) and the gokart usa Monster Dog II. I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks and joined a few days ago. In that time I have learned that both need the TAV2 upgrade and that they have quite a few parts in common.

I will note there is a $200 price difference and that the Monster Dog II has only a single down tube, but soft-tail rear suspension.

The fact that Monster Dog II requires assembly is a bonus, but I'm just not sure which is better for the money. Your wisdom and thoughts are needed.

Monster Dog Minibike Old School, Big Tires

Baja Motorsports MB200 Mini Bike — 196cc, Red, Model# MB200-GR | Minibikes Dirt Bikes| Northern Tool + Equipment

welcome aboard, they are both out of my price range, i find used ones on cl

Suspended,to me, is always a plus. But, my back is old. The rest of me is young.

Anybody over 200 lbs attest to the rigidity of the Monster DogII with the single downtube? How about the rear suspension? I suppose I could add gussets, but even with an expensive gas mig welder, half my crap doesn't pass the hammer tests!

I weigh 200 and ride a DB. The DBs were only rated for 150lb riders. Plus I have stretched it and put a bigger motor in.

Those ratings are just lawyer speak. The lawyers told the company to rate it low for liability issues.

there was some guy here that built a rear suspension large baja way before anybody thought of doing it or selling them already done and it look 10x cooler....... trying to remember his name now......

project build with rear springs

southysuper,220 shouldn't be to much weight for either of the big baja bikes. bike with rear suspension would probable float like caddy........ if the rear springs are to soft? you could always install a stiffer set...but i think you will be ok......whatever your choice maybe,i think you will have fun with it..........welcome aboard

Yeah, I heard the builder of that suspended Baja almost lost his mind during the build. Sat in the corner of his shop mumbling to himself.

Fine bike Delray. Someday my Baja will be rear suspended.

Sat in the corner of his shop mumbling to himself
    .............thats a good one....

The rear suspended baja would be everything that I want in a mini bike. I guess I'll be going with the Baja and use that $200 in savings to do the TAV2 upgrade. Maybe in a year or so my welding skills will be up to par and I can attempt the rear suspension build, or maybe I'll be able to buy just a frame from Baja Motorsports to play with since they are so close by.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Forgot to say, Welcome to OMB.
    Stick around and show us your progress.