Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Carbs off the 97cc Baja Motor?

Hey everyone,

I'm in need of new carburetor for my Tecumseh 198cc engine. Several members (mmisterbungl, Ibanez616) replied with: Carbs off the 97cc Baja Motor and Ibea. I briefly looked up the Baja carburetor and it seems as though they have a lot of complaints. What are your thought on this carburetor. Thanks

did you not read the reply saying that he was just hahahahaing with you? the Baja carbs are junk and too small for that engine.

why make a new thread when you could have just asked this in the other one?

Strigoi

I don't understand though. Why would he recommend something that he knows is bad. I am considering purchasing anything you guys recommend. (Ibanez616 recommended Ibea?) also, your probably right. I didn't need to make another thread.

it's well known that the Baja carbs are junk and you even said so yourself after doing a bit of research. when it comes to stuff on the internet, never, never just take someone's advice without doing at least a little bit of research yourself. if several people agree on a certain product (which is very common here) then you're pretty safe to go ahead and just buy it.

as for the Ibea carbs, i've seen them mentioned a few times here and haven't read anything negative. if the engine is staying stock just pick up a new/used stock carb for it. if you go with a bigger carb it's a good idea to at least do exhaust as well. more air in, more air out.

it really doesn't matter if you make a new thread. we like just like giving people a hard time around here.

Strigoi,

That was very informative! I really like this forum, and as you can see I like getting involved. Well I guess I'll go finish homework now. P.S. Do you accept friend requests or no? Wouldn't hurt my feelings either way.

I make kits for the 97cc carb and it has undergone a lot of leaning out over the years. It is too small for more than 125ccs unless all your doing is making something run. It was a utility carb from the start and then leaned-Leaned -LEANED --now I can make a buck or two helping people who can just barely make their motor run to at least get some gas running through it. 20 years ago it was okay- but just okay not "really cool carb" Today it's been so leaned out some people have to run with the choke on all the time.

i don't know if you've really posted on other boards or not, but after spending some time on here you'll figure out when people are being serious. you're one reply in the other thread made me think you haven't posted on too many. mmisterbungleskla;jad was just messing with you, no need to get pissed at him.

yeah, i usually accept friend requests.

Make sure you come to Mac's yard sale in Norwalk on Saturday morning! meet some members, see stuff your not likely to see anywhere else, and learn!

FOR THE RECORD....the 97cc carb was a big FAT joke.

Buy a replacement Tecumseh carb for an H60 (flathead) or OHH60 (OHV), whatever your motor is and be done with it. If you have as little experience with small engines as it seems you do, you don't want to be spending money on an IBEA or Tillotson. They are in the ballpark of $100 - $200 and in some cases more! They also require some basic knowledge of adjusting fuel/gas mixture with 2 to 3 adjustment needles. Really the only time you should consider such carbs is when you have a "built" engine, such as: upgraded cam, head milled, ported, larger valves, etc... Engines with these mods usually want more gas and air at a higher rate of velocity wich the bigger bore carbs as were mentioned will give you when tuned properly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARBURETOR-TECUM...item3cb4593fd6 OHH60 for OHV engines
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CARBURETOR-TECUM...item3a626ed733 H60 for flathead style engines

Last edited by mmisterbungl; 01-20-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Neck,

Is it every Saturday? Does he sell engines, mini bikes, or parts?
    I might be interested.