Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Identifying West Bend Power Bee engines

I have an old West Bend engine, I believe it's a 580 or a 700, I can't find any markings that would tell me which it is, It is missing its fan shroud but is otherwise working, the only number I could find was #2703038 on the cast aluminium base pan where the fan shroud would go, I don't think this number though will identify the engine for me, where should I expect to find the number that will identify the engine?

I was looking to put a 700 on a bike of mine but was having trouble finding one. I called Power Products and talked to their outside sales rep. He couldn't help me but gave me a number to an old timer that build and raced them back in the day. This guy told me that even he could not tell the difference between a 580 and 700 without taking it apart to see what was inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1 View Post
    I was looking to put a 700 on a bike of mine but was having trouble finding one. I called Power Products and talked to their outside sales rep. He couldn't help me but gave me a number to an old timer that build and raced them back in the day. This guy told me that even he could not tell the difference between a 580 and 700 without taking it apart to see what was inside.
    According to a vintage kart website they had 5 digit serial numbers that started with 500, 580, 700 etc but I couldn't find it, I don't suppose I actually need to find out since the fan shroud I'm missing is apparently common to all three models anyway.

I have an older 2-stroke West Bend engine that I would like to identify.

I have been looking for a site that would help me ID it but haven't had any luck yet.

I would appreciate any links that might help.

Thanks

Try Rear Engine American Racers or Vintage Karting Assn.

I also have a West bend 580 power bee Engine- Looking for a 9/16" clutch and side mount for my MB project. any suggestions. Thanks, bill1

Kenny1- Try contacting Frank at Poohruth@aol.com. I found him on ebay and he is A+ rated. He is custom building me a rare early 60's NOS WB700 modified with a big tilo carb and yes there are engine mounts and 9/16th clutches still available. He has collecting Wb's for over twenty years and he is great to work with. I am expecting my vintage 700 to be a real screamer. I know he has a real nice 580 hardly used in stock and a 820 which is just too crazy to put on any MB. I will post pix when its comes - mid December. Nothing is more fun than a vintage 2 cycle engine on a MB. Bill1

Quote Originally Posted by bill1 View Post
    Nothing is more fun than a vintage 2 cycle engine on a MB. Bill1
    YA but a WestBend?
    They were never a realy good motor like MAC. Inrfact I would take a Clinton with a forged steel rod/needle bearing from a Vintge saw long before I ,ess with any more the of the Westbend

The round barrel 580 WB engines have a cast iron/steel sleeve, whereas the 510/645/700 round barrel engines are chrome bore.An easy way to tell is remove the exhaust and look thru the ports at the back cylinder wall...with a flashlite.Crosshatch on a cast iron,reflection from the lite on a chrome bore.(The 610/820 square barrel models are the same way..........610's have a cast iron/steel liner,whereas the 820's have chrome bore).
    Downside of chrome bore is it can flake,no oversizing,and expensive to re-chrome.Upside is it's tough as hell,and lasts a long time if it doesn't sieze/overheat.
    regards,Joel

jole, you must realy do your homework!!!