`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications

Engines and Modifications Get the most out of your motor or just get it running! Discuss engines and modifications in depth.

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

throttle cable hook up

woo! first post on my first day at oldminibikes.com! love this site. it's what got me addicted to mini bikes in the first place. anyhoo i got a a problem. i'm just a few short steps away from riding my mini chopper. i have throttle cable and no idea what to do with it. main i'm asking how do i hook it up? i know most of you nice guys that help us newbies wanna know the type of engine problem is i have no idea! i bought it already painted black so no numbers or anything like that, all i know is that is supposed to be 5.5hp. please help so i can getting riding asap!

engine1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

engine2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
tarrguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

i just did one recently but on a different engine. here's what worked for me.

1. find the throttle lever
2. start the engine
3. figure out which way the lever goes to open and close
4. if you don't have one - run a throttle rod (close hanger or other type sturdy wire)
5. make sure when the throttle is open there is sturdy resistance (spring(s) that make it return all the way)
6. hook up the cable to the throttle lever and test it out and adjust.

this was not a five minute setup took much longer but it opens and closes without getting hung up.

hope this helps if not there there are much more experienced bikers here if you can hang in there for a bit.

Last edited by olajoe808; 05-30-2009 at 06:13 PM.
olajoe808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
GTO

Was that a snow blower engine? You can remove the bracket on top to look more like a mini bike engine.

Do you still have the gov arm on it? If so

See the holes on the pull start cover to the right of your carb?

This would be the easiest way and would look like a mini bike set up from the factory. images

If you have problems with Rupp parts (some have) do a google search for Tecumseh # 730136A That is the number for the same part. should be around $14

Cable will hook right up with a cable stop. and the rods that control the carb can be had or made easy.

The other route is to rig your own going straight to the throttle body and add a strong enough return spring to retract you grip throttle. The best way is ti fab a bracket and return just make sure you don't put stress on the throttle body or it can wear out the shaft in the carb.

Last edited by GTO; 05-30-2009 at 08:49 PM.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Was that a snow blower engine? You can remove the bracket on top to look more like a mini bike engine.

Do you still have the gov arm on it?
so i got it started today! and it did that basically once i got it up to full throttle. lol still confused as to how to hook up the throttle cable. i found out what levers did what (2 of which do nothing from that bracket which i will remove thanks to GTO)

i have no idea what kind of motor it is (found it in a shed and it still sparked so i'm using it) and i have no idea what the gov arm is unless what i'm calling the throttle is that. check out the pics and let me know what to do. i think i need a bracket on the throttle arm so it will pull out instead of forward

Flickr: tarrguy57's Photostream
Old 05-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
GTO

ok, your set up is different. the gov would be going into the engine from your linkage. I do have a 3HP engine like that (same control lever) but with a different carb.

You could try making the lever free float (so it's not stiff) then hook your cable to that and a return spring on the other side.

Or just gut it and rig your own but make sure to remove the gov instide the engine if you do that.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Or just gut it and rig your own but make sure to remove the gov instide the engine if you do that.
i don't think there is a gov. when i got it started it actually let off the gas cuz it felt way to powerful (i've riden a 5.5 before and it never sounded this nice and loud)

also i have no experience with small engines so i wouldn't even have the slightest idea as to how to setup my own throttle but thanks i'll look into it
Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

this thread is realy helpfull, and man there r alot of people running this motor
poseydb30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poseydb30 View Post
this thread is realy helpfull, and man there r alot of people running this motor
your welcome on it being helpful. but how are there alot of ppl running this motor? nobody has any idea what kind of motor it is.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrguy57 View Post
your welcome on it being helpful. but how are there alot of ppl running this motor? nobody has any idea what kind of motor it is.
That's a Tecumseh, looks like a 5hp (H50) or 6hp (H60). A very popular engine on mini bikes. I just picked up one of each of those and they are almost identical. If I wouldn't have pulled them off the snowblowers myself I wouldn't now which was which. Both are off Craftsman snow blowers and have the Craftsman numbers and tags.
jeep4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

thank you thats right . but i am about to gie mine to a budy and do a 6.5 clone. my old one blew when i thought i could put nitrous on it so my buddy wants to rebuild it and put it on his .
poseydb30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications

Tags
cable, hook up, throttle