`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications

Engines and Modifications Get the most out of your motor or just get it running! Discuss engines and modifications in depth.

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Handheld engine starters? Making mine from a briggs electric start.

Hey all. Just a few questions on engine starters.

Did you buy yours or make it yourself? If you bought it, are there any sites to get some ideas from?

I'm going to try to assemble my own, on the cheap, to start my engines instead of using a pull start. I have a briggs starter motor with a bare shaft and a 12v 7ah battery. If 7ah isnt high enough, I also have a 17ah to use. I'm going mount it all to a base plate and put handles on it with a switch to turn it on and off.

I'm planning on welding a 3/8" socket extender onto the shaft to be able to use sockets on the end of it. Just gotta make sure that it is centered. I may also try to shave the shaft down to 1/4" square and put a 1/4" to 3/8" size-up adapter on it and then weld that in place.

mhornfeck72205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Will a Briggs starter, without the big ring gear attached to the flywheel, have enough torque to turn over the motor? How about putting a small pulley on the starter and a larger pulley on the crankshaft and use a belt between the two?
Oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

On 4cycle.com there was someone that made a beautiful hand held starter out of an old Subaru starter ( for a car, im assuming a small motor) but It lasted forever, looked great and cost sixty dollars, best of all he had a step by step on how to doit,

Ill try to find it later1
Jay Wrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

im thinking that a standard briggs started wont have the power to turn a motor over like that .you would need some kind of gear reduction . if you built it off a car starter it would have the power to do it with out gears. what kind of ratchet or over run clutch are you going to use ? you would need some kind of clutch so when the motor starts it wont break your arm by flipping the starter out of your hand.
metal man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a hunch that the briggs will be torque-y enough. I'm just going to build it and see if it works or not. If it doesnt, I always have my cordless drill which works just fine now. Just looking to make something that lasts a bit longer than the drill.

When the engine kicks in, it should just spin the briggs shaft faster.. I dont think it would really rip it out of my hand. The starter shaft isnt attached to anything directly linked to the rest of the starter. It spins freely.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

any briggs or tech i have had starts is 2 light pulls, max, whats the problem with pulling the cord?
DreyeIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

its for my honda clone which I've added a ton of mods to. It has the compression release removed on it too.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

The raw Briggs starter motor will not have enough torque, without the huge reduction supplied by the stock ring gear normally mounted on the flywheel, to turn over the motor. If a car starter, which often have internal reduction gearing, is used there is going to be a problem holding on to the starter. The torque is instantly applied when the switch is closed. The starter will hit top RPM and torque almost instantly. A gorrilla couldn't be counted on to hold on to it useing both hands when the engine hit it's first compression sroke. Install long handles? Reduce the voltage to weaken the car starter's output? Then there is the problem of a "bendix" or some other form of over-running clutch.

A belt drive, with a small pulley on the Briggs starter [hand held] and a larger pulley on the flywheel side of the crankshaft, would have a good chance of eliminating of minimizing the above noted problems......IMHO. The starter motor could be enerigized before it's pulled up tightly against the "V" belt. That would allow the torque to be "clutched" in rather than being suddenly engaged and wrapping the cables around your arms. The small and large pulleys would supply a reduction that would, hopefully, allow the little starter to work. The engine when it starts would not be hard coupled to the starter so an over-run clutch would not be required. The loose belt would simply fall off on the ground when the starter allowed the belt to be free.

That would be my direction if the aim was to have a starter that was safe and low buck.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

A cordless drill has a reduction built in. Why do I not have such a hard time turning the engine over with the drill?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Try the Briggs starter without reduction and let us know if it turns over the engine adaquately. If I'm dead wrong on that matter, you got it done! Well, it might still be necessary to have some form of over-running clutch.

If, on the other hand, the Briggs starter will not turn over the engine adaquately get yourself a car starter and plug that onto the end of the crankshaft and see if it can be held onto. I, for one, would like for you to have a friend there to turn on the switch and take a picture at exactly the same instant. Then post the picture when you are again able to operate a keyboard.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications

Tags
engine, handheld, starters?