`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications

Engines and Modifications Get the most out of your motor or just get it running! Discuss engines and modifications in depth.

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Speed Nut!

How Bad Do You Really Want To Win?

I got a random call, just like many I have had over the years I have been building these little motors. The call went something like this:

Ring, Ring, Ring!!!

"Hello"
"Charles, this is blah, blah"
"What's up? What you been up to?"
"Nothing much, just been racing"
"So what's up?"
"Well I have a problem, I need to beat RPM"
"Ok, so if your calling me, that means you want more power then, right?"
"Yeah, I think if I had a few more HP, a little more bottom, and a lot more top end I can beat him, he is just to fast in the straights!"
"OK, well I know a good amount on his motor. And I don't know if you can afford what it will cost to make "More" power than what he has"
"Well how much will it cost? And I want to stay on gasoline"
"Well you really don't want to win then.
" Why you say that? I really do want to beat him"
"You say that, but you don't want to run alky. The first thing your saying is restricting the power of the engine"
"I just don't want to have to change the oil after the race"
"So your telling me, that you really want to win, but because your so lazy, you don't want to change oil?"
"Naw, I don't feel like going to buy it at only a couple places. I like that I can buy gas anywhere"
"OK well you have just wasted my time, call me back when you "Really" want to win, and not non of this BS your talking about" CLICK!

BTW I'm the smiley face

Last edited by minidragbike; 12-20-2010 at 01:05 AM.
minidragbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

No offense to RPM or his motor builder because it was built right and runs real good. But it wouldn't take a whole lot to out power him, and for a lot less money. Like I have said, the motor you had Rodney ride at Ventura could easily out power the motor he runs now. It's all about money, if you have $2500.00 you can have his motor built for you, if you don't well your gonna have to spend at least a grand I would say to even come close.

MDB your caller could make decent power on a good race gas, maybe a good 15 or 16HP.
Solo Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Speed Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Cali View Post
No offense to RPM or his motor builder because it was built right and runs real good. But it wouldn't take a whole lot to out power him, and for a lot less money. Like I have said, the motor you had Rodney ride at Ventura could easily out power the motor he runs now. It's all about money, if you have $2500.00 you can have his motor built for you, if you don't well your gonna have to spend at least a grand I would say to even come close.

MDB your caller could make decent power on a good race gas, maybe a good 15 or 16HP.
Your right, but 15-16 hp just isn't enough. I would prefer the caller had 25hp on alky. I don't want any call backs!!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lol, that's pretty funny MDB. Not just gas, but pump gas too.
RPM runs gas; right? So he probably has a few easy HP in pocket to play with if he starts to get some heat. I'd like to see how his motor runs at the drag strip sometime. Not too many stroke clones I don't think. I think you can build an ARC stroker kit motor for well under 2k if it's not Terry and Dwight doing the work. And that's with a bad-ass MDB head on it too. 1k might be a stretch though Solo. Maybe you are saying a stock stroke and bore motor can come close for a grand? Maybe so. I think 1800.00 + clutch is the number for a reliable, comparable engine from scratch, from a good garage builder. 600 stroker crank, rod, piston, flywheel from ARC 150 OEM Honda block and sidecover 200-300 big valve head complete. 150-200 decent methanol carburetor 150 Cam 150 Rockers ? 100 miscellaneous 100 machine shop 200 Assembly I know you can get some of these parts cheaper too if you don't mind used race stuff. What do you think MDB? Am I close? Why is my text running together like this lately?
korndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Speed Nut!

No need to even stroke it
RPM runs on alky
I'm thinking it will take about $1500, but who wants to spend that much? Only someone that really wants to win.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidragbike View Post
No need to even stroke it
RPM runs on alky
I'm thinking it will take about $1500, but who wants to spend that much? Only someone that really wants to win.
When i saw him at Paul's before his crank broke, he was running VP race gas. I guess he switched it up after the rebuild?
korndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think its funny how I never fails that this get brought up ( if I had my more power then he wouldn. out pull me) same thing was brought up about big dan just because he ha a big block that's why he is fast now the same with rpm. The one thing that I see everyone on here over looks is that both of these guys can ride I've raced with both of them they can ride that's what makes them fast, shure they may be able to pull everyone down the straights but they dig those corners better then everyone else. Like if you put a pro supercross rider on a 80 and you on a 450 and did a 5 lap race on a supercross track with a half a lap head start the pro would woop all over the person on the 450 with the 80 cause he can ride, about all I got left to say its not always about havin the most power its how well you can ride
valvefloater62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvefloater62 View Post
I think its funny how I never fails that this get brought up ( if I had my more power then he wouldn. out pull me) same thing was brought up about big dan just because he ha a big block that's why he is fast now the same with rpm. The one thing that I see everyone on here over looks is that both of these guys can ride I've raced with both of them they can ride that's what makes them fast, shure they may be able to pull everyone down the straights but they dig those corners better then everyone else. Like if you put a pro supercross rider on a 80 and you on a 450 and did a 5 lap race on a supercross track with a half a lap head start the pro would woop all over the person on the 450 with the 80 cause he can ride, about all I got left to say its not always about havin the most power its how well you can ride

I call BS to this theory!! I have been riding since I was old enough to ride a Minibike and at 51 never stopped. No offence to Rob or Dan or anybody else out there, BUT I know if I had half the power they had (yea half) I could sure give them a better run for there money but still could not beat them. If I had even power I might even come up with a win now and then no doubt!!!!!!!!! Trust me its 99% about more power when you are racing guys with a third your power.

Last edited by Toycartony; 12-20-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Toycartony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Speed Nut!

Yeah but if you have more power, and can ride that's the best combo. RPM can beat big Dan all day long, and has. But I do think if Pepboy was at the same track with his little bike he maybe can beat him. And that is for both of the same reasons, not just power.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
An OMB original!

No offence to anyone.....

But when it comes to racing, Having friends in the racing business is great, having friends in the racing business that owe you favors is even better, but blank checks.........Their really hard to beat!
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications

Tags
win?