`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications

Engines and Modifications Get the most out of your motor or just get it running! Discuss engines and modifications in depth.

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

First start up Briggs won't run without choke

Hey guys I started my briggs 5hp up today for the first time after a rebuild, It runs fine with my hand over the air cleaner, but once I take it off it stalls. It's obviously fuel related, does anyone have any ideas on what I should check?
tuff57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Adjustable idle and high speed? Junk in fuel line? IDK? Cant believe no answer.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's a pulse yet carb and I changed the diaphragm and cleaned everything
tuff57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Including that pickup tube screens?
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Did you remove the carb from the tank? my sons the upper pickup portion of the tank had crap in it and was plugging the pu tube.
Jeff Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hangin with Neck and GTO

Yeah you definitely have to make sure EVERYTHING is clean in those POS carbs.. Make sure the screens and tubes are all clean.. The tank and upper feed tube bowl is all clean.. Make sure the pickup tubes are not CRACKED somewhere because it happens.. Make sure the gasket is rite between the carb and tank because they have little dump holes and stuff, so if ya build your own, but don't build it rite, it won't work..

When you put your diaphragm in make SURE the face of the carb AND MAINLY that little cover are dead square nuts flat flush.. ALWAYS that plate gets warped from the screws being over tightened.. I like to just lay it flat on a good file and rub it till it's nice and true again...

Make sure all the passage holes are open and clean in the diaphragm cover... Make sure the TWO DIFFERENT flapper valve pockets will be sealed off seperately.. sometimes the plate is so warped that there is a gap between those two seperate chambers so they can't function as a one way valve like they are supposed to..

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh If the governor isn't hooked up.. Not hooked up rite.. fuel mixture isn't set quite rite..... When you accelerate.. Those OLDER carbs with a pull out choke, have such piss poor air flow, that you will cause the engine to cough out because the throttle opens faster than the carb can feed the engine..

Typically a briggs carb... the idle speed screw is two inches long.. BUT needs to be screwed in ALL two inches before the damn thing will idle fast enough to run..

OH!! and a bad spark plug will LOOK like it's got good spark... BUT!!! will only run on like %100 fuel almost like it's dieseling until the plug is hot and 200 degrees from dieseling for twenty minutes whilst you pull on the rope and swear at it..

Thats all that comes to mind off the top of my head...
The Restore Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Make sure the fuel cap is vented. A plugged gas cap can cause all kinds of weird problems.
Richard Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

What restore kid said, it's sucking air either the manifold gasket or the diaphragm cover.
FordGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications

Tags
briggs, choke, start, won't