Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plans on how to build a Tom Thumb Minibike

Nice set of 1970 plans but time has caught up with things like this. It would cost $700.00 to $1000.00 to build that little mini bike today. And that's in used parts that you spend so much time finding.
    When I had my store in 1973 a man came in with a mini bike that was 1/4 that size and I watched him ride it. But he was lets say NUTS and very limber. LOL .
    Thanks for the look back. Steve

I dont think it would too much cost to build one, find an old Snow Pup snowblower and rob the Tec 2 stroke from that, I've seen them on ebay for $50 or less.. The hardest part will be the frame, bending the pipe that sharp is a trick unless you have a nice mandrel bender... Another option would be get a frame simular to that one and qaurter it, take out how ever much you would need to shrink the frame down and then sleeve each joint..... sort of reverse to what i'm doing on my Wards frame...

Those are pretty neat , the original pocket bike LOL...

here's an engine, these have a 5/8 keyed shaft so you can use a clutch on it...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Tecumseh-2-strok...QQcmdZViewItem

another one with a cool stock header
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TORO-S-620-SNOW-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by 125ccCrazy; 01-22-2009 at 09:13 AM.

steve durham,where would it cost $700+ to build a little minibike? are talking about mas-products of them or just one?
    little off the subject steve,but you have any cool pictures of your shop from the 70's with minibikes and stuff,if so maybe post some on a new threadthat would be cool..........

125ccCrazy,engine you posted would be little to big for that tom thumb mini frame. the size of it is almost as tall as a 3 or 4hp tecumseh. i have couple of them still in my snowblowers. guy could almost use all the parts from that snowblower to build a minibike out of. of course it would have to be little bigger then a tom thumb minibike.
    snowblower has a 35 chain and a sprocket. also has a neat rounded plastic gas tank too. on off key switch

and for pipe bender if a guy can't get one or have the option of using one? just take a look around you and you will be surprise how many different things are made out of pipe with some cool bends in them for exhaust or for a minibike frame build. i cut out a tube cage from back of a old friggs my buddy was junking. tubing was strong and work good for my extension on the back of my frame for my seat and use a set of old chevy truck mirror brackets to fab up a small sissy bar around my seatyou can see in the picture where it bolts to the frame(front). tube is flat. thats the original part that bolted to the door on the truck and from there out i just added some pipe bends to go up and around no high doller tools to fab up this bike........

An O&R engine alone would cost minimum $300 to get a for sure good one, not one that has been run without oil/gas mix or is otherwise missing parts and etc. I found a little air cooled 2-stroke outboard motor that will lay down like a West Bend or Mac and I am going to use that unless I get lucky finding an O&R that's wprth buying.

D&D Mini Bike & Kart Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by delray View Post
    steve durham,where would it cost $700+ to build a little minibike? are talking about mas-products of them or just one?
    little off the subject steve,but you have any cool pictures of your shop from the 70's with minibikes and stuff,if so maybe post some on a new threadthat would be cool..........
    Hi Delray : If you look in my photo section there is a lot of pictures of the shop but there was not a lot of pictures of the mini bikes all in a row there was two parts of the office/ showroom the front was parts sales and displays. along with the new units. The back half was where the karts and three wheelers were kept.
    All the used units and bikes in for repairs were rolled out every day from the other shop across the center drive. The big shed was where we kept the steel and frame jigs for all the machines that were made by the previous owner he made all his own machines from scratch.
    I had a lot of fun in those days of working full time as a building maintenance engineer in Century City from 6 to 2 then often stopping at Flexo and Indian to buy parts and then going on to the shop and working on sales, returning calls and fixing units in for repairs.
    And of course we were racing at 2 to 3 times a week at local tracks and events all over Southern California.
    Would I do it again YES in a flash but I would take more pictures.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by delray View Post
    125ccCrazy,engine you posted would be little to big for that tom thumb mini frame. the size of it is almost as tall as a 3 or 4hp tecumseh. i have couple of them still in my snowblowers. guy could almost use all the parts from that snowblower to build a minibike out of. of course it would have to be little bigger then a tom thumb minibike.
    ]
    and for pipe bender if a guy can't get one or have the option of using one? just take a look around you and you will be surprise how many different things are made out of pipe with some cool bends in them for exhaust or for a minibike frame build. i cut out a tube cage from back of a old friggs my buddy was junking. tubing was strong and work good for my extension on the back of my frame for my seat and use a set of old chevy truck mirror brackets to fab up a small sissy bar around my seatyou can see in the picture where it bolts to the frame(front). tube is flat. thats the original part that bolted to the door on the truck and from there out i just added some pipe bends to go up and around no high doller tools to fab up this bike........

Delray,

now that you mention I have to agree with ya on the engine, I got to thinking about it, I had a couple of them engines and your right, they are about the size of a standard 3 hp..... The only small engine I can think of thats on the cheap would be a 49cc pb engine but that wouldnt have the looks of a vintage 70's style bike, it would work but just wouldn't have the looks..

We must be on the same way length, I'm always looking at various things for bends, dolly carts, mower handles ect...... The sissy bar on your bike looks right at home, if you wouldn't have said what it was I wouldn't have guessed a truck mirror..

I'm looking for some 1" pipe with some sharp bends now so I can modify this mtd frame I have...... It's pretty cool what can be done with oddball stuff, some imagination and a little fabricating just about anything can be done...

Again nice work on that bar....

Here's a link to my Tom Thumb Minibike build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...71#post9929271

I'm going to try and build another one this winter, using a 4 cycle honda weed eater engine.

Hodakaguy
    Last edited by Hodakaguy; 09-26-2009 at 11:20 AM.

Neet bike.I like the looks of the frame, It would be cool to make that a little bigger one with 7/8 tubing so it could use normal minibike engines and wheels, Kinda a XL Tom Thumb bike.