`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > General MiniBike Talk

General MiniBike Talk Talk about all topics regarding Mini Bikes. All Makes, All Models

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Powell Challenger?

In my search for a mini bike frame to copy when building my trail bike, I came across the Powell Challenger. I really do not know that much about mini bikes but really liked the look and utility of this bike frame.

The foot placement is also pretty cool and simple with the tray design.

How did this mini bike handle?

How well does the frame hold up over time?

Is there any weak points in the frame that should be addressed.

I will be doing a frame from scratch so I will be able to fix or improve upon the design.

Does anyone have a picture of how the swing arm is setup in the back without the tire?

Justin
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

JustinJ ; Well I am a bit opinionated about Powell's as I once was a dealer for that line of bikes. And the frame design is very strong but not overweight. One factor is the working suspension that takes the shock and stress of heavy off road riding. And the large wheel size gives the bike a good ground clearance.
If you look into my picture section there are numerous articles about the Powell and it's evaluation . As for improving a tried and true machine just think about that. I has a mono sprung swing arm and absolute dead on chain alignment a thing that most mini bikes with jack shafts do not have. Being that the pivot of the swing arm is also the drive sprocket mount. That is on the Phantom 7 series.
Here to help in any way. Steve
steven Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

im not opioniated, im sold on the powell challenger style, if you want trail riding and wont be ridiing at pismo beach always,this bike has really great features. been really nice riding on the road and offroad in my experince with them. ive had all kinds of hardtail bikes and
the suspencion sure is nice. has tall wheels and looks so nice and well fitted with the five horse motor tucked into the frame. great seat and bars.
i dont know anything about the phanthom bike but im sure they are just as great.
james c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Could someone take a picture of the bottom of the Powellr frame? I was able to find a picture of the frame sitting on the ground but would like to see a picture of the frame looking down on the bottom with the top of the frame sitting on the ground.
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

hello....someone once told me that ''powell'' was made in Compton,calif......I wonder if they were correct......
schmidtnstein51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Justin, I and my brothers have a few Powells, however not as many as James. They are everything others have described. There is numerous build threads on OMB; a good place to see many closeups pics. We have noticed that the goose neck seems to be somewhat of a weak point. There are many Powells around with the fork angle off, goose neck bent, and/or the top bar slightly bent from probable front end wrecks. This is really about it. If you were making one from scratch you may want to consider a full torque converter, Powells only had a variable Driver, not Driven. I am currently in the process of changing an original Powell I have to a full TC, along with a little more power. The project is on Omb. Belong that, the Powell is an amazing small trail bike.

Jesse
Old 06-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey Justin, those pics came from the original restore project of the Powell 3867D by my brother David, ck it out. This is a final pic of the bike

Jesse
Old 06-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

David just pointed out to me that this is a very old thread, it would be cool to see someone build one however.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > General MiniBike Talk

Tags
challenger?, powell