`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > General MiniBike Talk

General MiniBike Talk Talk about all topics regarding Mini Bikes. All Makes, All Models

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Bad Dog frame kits

I have a thread for building a mini for my 6yr. girl. I was thinking of one for myself. I was surfing the web & found some large frames made by Bad Dog. I like the idea of the larger frame & tires. I was also looking at the Trail Sport Buffalo. They both cost abit more at 500 to 700 for a no engine kit. I was thinking an 11hp HF clone for power or the 6.5 with a GTC torque converter.

This bike woud double as a hunting bike. It is alot of money for a mini bike But the cost of a motorcycle or 4wheeler is alot more !!!!!! Do you think this would make a good trail bike?

How would the torque converter work compaired to the larger engine? Not so much for speed but climbing power?

John
jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

you have more info on these
COWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Jeep
There are a couple of guys here with the big-frame Bad Dog. Yes, get it! Like you said; it's practical....
korndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Bad Dog kits are high rent but a nice unit! The balloon tire model with a big engine and a TAV would be ideal for an all around rider, it would also be great out on the trails! I recently bough some items from BD and there was a small problem and they went above and beyond to make me happy! Great folks to deal with!
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWBOY View Post
you have more info on these
Bad Dog Enterprises - Mini Bikes, Mini Choppers, Parts, Kits & Assemblies

John
Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

It sounds like the bad dog might be a good choice then. Does anyone have info on the trailsport Buffalo ? It looks less traditional but still nice.

John
Old 11-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Smile Mixed bag of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster360 View Post
I have a thread for building a mini for my 6yr. girl. I was thinking of one for myself. I was surfing the web & found some large frames made by Bad Dog. I like the idea of the larger frame & tires. I was also looking at the Trail Sport Buffalo. They both cost abit more at 500 to 700 for a no engine kit. I was thinking an 11hp HF clone for power or the 6.5 with a GTC torque converter.

This bike woud double as a hunting bike. It is alot of money for a mini bike But the cost of a motorcycle or 4wheeler is alot more !!!!!! Do you think this would make a good trail bike?

How would the torque converter work compaired to the larger engine? Not so much for speed but climbing power?

John
Big tires don't make a good trail bike, and a big engine won't climb hills if not geared properly. A torque converter is better than a clutch but most torque converters are speed sensitive and allow free wheeling on steep grades. A trail machine should have a Torque sensitive drive system so you don't free wheel down the steep hills with the load on the machine.
First in consideration is gearing for the type of terrain you will be hunting in and a big second is having a proper spark arrestor. You might try looking for a tote gote or seminar type of machine usually not very flashy but they get the job done.
Steve
steven Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Big tires don't make a good trail bike ? Can you elaborate on this some? I could see that the super large 20-22 incher might be a bit much but i would think the larger tires would help with ground clearance & they should help the ride since there is no suspension on the Bad Dog or Buffalo.

I understand that the bike needs to be geared correctly for the trail & not setup for top speed. A bigger engine would add better low end just because it has more power to begin with, so you could gear alittle higher right? Is there a drive system that allows compression braking for a mini bike setup? Don't the clutch & converter both free wheel down hill ? I read somewhere about a type of 2 speed jack shaft or something also.

Good info here. I love this place

John
Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi John : Of course the clutch free wheels as does the standard torque converter. The driven half of the torque converter is what designates the type of converter by using a spring that pushes the movable face of the driven half closed and shifting back to a lower gear ratio as engine rpm is reduced this in effect is compression breaking a good thing if your loaded going down a hill. Torque sensitive clutches have inter twined ramps that are held closed by it's spring and the spring is over ridden by the torque sensed by the rear wheel, as torque is lessened the engines rpm stays matched to the throttles demand and as torque is sensed like a hill the engine begins to slow down and the rider is then able to increase the throttle position to keep the power on.
One bike that is a great trail bike is the Tule Trooper it has the speed sensitive torque converter and a James 2 speed Hi-Lo gear box. In low gear its like a Tote Gote geared low and in High it's like a big wheel mini bike . Most Tule Troopers came with a 5 HP Briggs engine.
The two speed jack shaft is a speed option not very controllable As for ground clearance yes it is important the big tires on the Bad Dog look like flotation in sand or mud is their main purpose. As far as suspension goes if the two machines your looking at don't come with a suspended model keep looking.
Steve

Last edited by steven Durham; 11-10-2010 at 07:45 PM.
steven Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Look for some of these for good off road deer haulers.

Tule Trooper

Tote Gote
DZLBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > General MiniBike Talk

Tags
frame, kits