Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hf predator & aftermarket air filter?

I got one of those Harbor Freight Predator 212cc motors. I jumped the gun and bought a cone style air filter and adaptor from OMB warehouse...Now it runs like sh***t...Thought the carb would probably need adjusting,but I can't find an adjustment screw. The only one I see is the idol adj. screw.

Did a little search on here, near as I can tell there is no adjustment screw? so basically I can't use this cool filter? Please say it ain't so, I hate that stock black box!!!

Yes you can. Most guys either buy a new idle jet that is drilled out or drill one out themselves. Since this is a new motor and has no aftermarket parts availible for it yet you will have to get a set up numbered drill bits and then drill out the idle jet on the carb as well as the main jet. I would guess to try the #77 bit for the idle jet, and then the #65 for the main jet, but I am sure someone else has more info on the size to drill the jets out to.
    OMB BROTHERHOOD

OMB forever, forever OMB.

My buddy has the same setup on this HF 212 motor, but with a custom loop pipe, we drilled the mian jet with a .038 drill bit i believe and it runs like a top now.

You HAVE to re-jet when replacing the stock air filter with an aftermarket performance type. (This topic has been previously discussed numerous times all over this forum). As an experiment, before we re-jetted my son's HF 6.5 he installed a K & N filter and the engine would barely run or even idle. After installing the larger jet and upgraded emulsion tube the difference was night and day. I know that some have advised drilling out the idle jet as well, however, we found that was not needed. I thought that I had read in another member's recent thread that the new HF Predator accepts the same upgraded main jet and emulsion tube (which you can purchase at OMB Warehouse at very reasonable price) that the old HF clone did?

I have a cpl jets down here you can try, just come and get em.

Korey: Thanks, will be over to get'em....

Assuming that these are the typical HF clone upgrade jets, PLEASE let us (all) know if they fit/work? There are probably a lot of members that would like to know!

I figured the carb would need adjusted. I did not know it would have to be re-jetted! I have never done this before..My neighbor has offered a cpl. jets to try, so I won't have to drill..2 questions, which jet should i use? Do I have to have the new emulsion tube also?

I have searched some threads on the Predator motors, and in one members thread he said there is no way to get float bowl off, and he even tried pliers...Is this in fact the case....Although I am now reading people are doing it, so there must be a way...?

The old style clone carb jets will fit in the new carb.... no need to change emulsion tube... like most people have said... 38 is usually a winner, but somewhere between 36 to 39 is the range... i noticed on the one I messed with, you will have a slight hesiation from standing idle to WOT... I think it is because of the why the idle jet is setup... I haven't been able to overcome it...

I did have one where the bowl was basically riveted to the bottom of the carb where the jet and e-tube go, that carb got sent back in the box to HF... the next one I got had the regular screw in the bottom.... hopefully, if you have a phillips looking screw in the bottom of your bowl, you are good to go... if it has a smooth bottom, if you get the bowl off it will probably be junk...
    Last edited by Justin9; 07-15-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added info

Ok, thanks, Mr.Erok000 (my neighbor has graciously let me try a #36 & #37 jet he has from OMB warehouse...I will keep everyone posted...