`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > General MiniBike Talk

General MiniBike Talk Talk about all topics regarding Mini Bikes. All Makes, All Models

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Baja Warrior Minibike project- motorcycle engine

My friend has what I think is a Baja Motor Sports | Baja Warrior Mini Bike in his barn with something wrong with the engine. I want to get rid of the engine and get a 1 or 2cyl Japanese motorcycle engine, from a 70's or 80's bike and throw it in the frame. I have seen a picture before of a minibike from the 70's at a dragstip with a Honda CB750 4cyl engine. I want to get like a 200-400cc engine with around 30-40hp, do some burnouts, and a little bit of offroading. Has anyone ever seen something like this done and if its possible? I also was looking at a Briggs and Stratton vtwin engine and thought that might be good.
AaronNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum Aaron I would say unless you have welding and fabrication skills I would just get a new engine from Harbor Freight and maybe a TAV and have some fun with it
Old 08-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleys Papa View Post
Welcome to the forum Aaron I would say unless you have welding and fabrication skills I would just get a new engine from Harbor Freight and maybe a TAV and have some fun with it
I have acces to two people with fabrication, welding and machining skills.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronNY View Post
I have acces to two people with fabrication, welding and machining skills.
Got access to a hospital?

Because you are going to need it to put such a high-output motorcycle engine on a CHINA bike with no experience...

Those bikes can barely stay together with all parts with a 6.5hp engine. I couldn't even imagine riding one with a 40hp engine. Guaranteed death on wheels.
MikeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Challence accepted.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I almost crashed my Puma bike, which is like the Baja, a few minutes ago. That's with a 6.5 hp engine and a torque converter. Didn't realize the grass was wet from the dew already and wet off road tires on pavement with a rear brake only don't mix
manco12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Im pretty sure I found a replacement 6.5hp engine from Harbor Frieght for 100$ so that might be an option. Arent the wheels on a Baja atv wheels, so I could fit a front disc brake on there and get some moped or something rear shocks on it.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

How would you mount the caliper? You'd be better off using another rear wheel assembly in the front to have an additional drum brake. From experience, I would advise you to keep the Baja relatively simple without a ton of modifications and get something fast if you want something fast. You can do about 40 mph or close with a pretty much stock 6.5 hp and torque converter. Do some engine mods and you can do 40 and still have some low end. Maintaining these bikes and keeping them running isn't bad. But once you throw a bunch of things not made for each other together, it can become a pain.
manco12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > General MiniBike Talk

Tags
baja, engine, motorcycle, warrior