`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Honda / Clone / Predator Engines

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Newbie with a Mini Baja 6.5 hensim???

Hi Fellas,
Just picked up my first ever mini bike a 2006 Mini Baja with a hensim 6.5 195cc engine. It runs smooth at idle but pops and runs like crap when given throttle. I assumed dirty carb but have cleaned it thoroughly 2X with no change and of couse new gas. There is no fuel filter that I can find and I blew air back through anyway. I've tried running it with and without the air filter just in case and changed the spark plug.
It seems to get too much fuel. Next I plan to check compression. Any Idea what I should get for a reading? I also recall reading about the governor. Should there be any springs attached or should it just flucuate as needed?
I bought this thinking it'd be a blast for the kids but I fear that if I get it running right I wn't want to share. I'll definitely need to slow it down.
Thanks for any help.
Rick
Fishinut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sound like the carb is put of adjustment if it has low compression it would be hard to start
robby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't think it's an adjustment and I've cleaned the carb 3X with wire, carb cleaner and air. I'm now wondering if there is suposed to be a spring attached to the black plastic piece that has a rod going to the governor arm and idle adjustment screw that sits on top of carburator. When I rev it up that piece flucuates making it pop and run "jerky" if I hold it from jumping around it smooths right out making me think it may be missing a spring.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Never mind I found that it was missing a spring. I took it to a local shop that works on a lot of small bikes and small engines and get this...they GAVE me a Honda 6.5hp motor off a pressure washer that had a bad pump. The motor is exactly the same as the Hensim so now I can either rob parts or replace the engine with the Honda as it is in good running condition. It feels good to luck out once in while.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

id put the honda in and use the hensim for parts
minibike maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I might do that but the Hensim is running great. Are the any advantages to running the Honda?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

well honda is a really nice quality name brand and im not sure what hensim is.. off brand?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have two clones, a 5.5 on a mini Baja, and a 6.5 from Harbor Freight. Neither would run worth a darn without the choke at least half way on. I replaced the jet in the carbs with a #90 and they now run fine with the choke all the way off.
RobK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

seems like a #90 is a little big for a unmodded clone? does it foul out?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Not at all.
RobK is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Honda / Clone / Predator Engines

Tags
baja, hensim???, mini, newbie