`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Honda / Clone / Predator Engines

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

What would be the best way to break one of these in? It says not to rev it up to full RPM or have it on full load.
The Muffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Like everyone else says, you just cant beat the price of them. Tons of mods for them as well. Just re-did a bug with one and so far its great, Tons of snot and with a straight pipe and air filter the thing barks like a hog.
Iron Honky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Preadtor engines are very nice especially for the price

You will not be disapointed especially with the price. I got the install kit from Hot Rod Minibikes and I had the engine in it in about 1&1/2 hours. I just got done breaking it in and it has tons of power and like others have said you can't even rebuild an engine for the price of this engine at Habor Freight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1349069849619.jpg (33.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1349069738531.jpg (40.4 KB, 67 views)
GustoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

A 7hp Predator clone in a Doodle bug can be a dangerous machine for little kids or inexpirienced riders to operate. So far I have enjoyed the power of this motor but my 22 year old had accidently drove it off the curb and fell and bruised her hip and skun her elbow. My wife was riding it last weekend and hit some soft sand on a dirt road and lost control and she fell and got some bruises too. It goes 30-35mph or so now and it gets there real quick too so I would not let any little kids (under 15 to 16 years old) drive it or they could get injured real bad. I weigh 190lbs an am 5"11 while my wife is at least 30 to 40 lbs lighter than me. I have had no problems with riding it but I do agree with her and others that this engine sort of over powers the DB30. I am going to leave the engine stock since its powerful enough. I am also going to get the hydraulic brake for it since it goes so much faster now and the mechanical stock Db30 brake isn't very good. My wife said its kind of dangerous now since it will get away from you especially if your riding it on loose gravel/sand like she did when she fell.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

I just mounted this engine to a Quasi-Stellar frame today and all I have to say is WOW. I am used to riding on a 6HP geared for speed or my little 2HP Briggs so I did not expect this thing to do a full wheelie. The throttle is extremely sensitive and if you hit it too hard, it will throw you back. Definitely feels like it is at least a 7HP, maybe even an 8. Love the engine!

Of course, I have it governed to limit the RPMs during break in period. Can't wait till I can really open it up.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hi Muffinator

Yes. The engine makes lots of torque of the start and acelerates to 30-35 mph real fast. Are you going to remove the govenor? I heard you need to get the billit flywheel and better valve springs since the stock ones will start to float at about 4500rpm or so. Post a picture of your rig here so everyone can see it. I was riding mine today and I am thinking about fabbing a suspension fork with a set of pw80 Yamaha shocks with a home made tripple tree like the 6 million dollar Doodle. It needs a front suspension. I was also thinking about doing a custom seat for it. Getting some progressive rate foam and cutting it to a slightly wider shape and a little thicker to soak up the bumps and having it covered at an upholstery shop. I heard you can fab a suspension fork yourself for about $150. I am surprised that someone hasn't made a front suspension kit that you can buy since there are lots of DB30s out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG035.jpg (892.6 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by GustoGuy; 10-15-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
Hi Muffinator

Yes. The engine makes lots of torque of the start and acelerates to 30-35 mph real fast. Are you going to remove the govenor? I heard you need to get the billit flywheel and better valve springs since the stock ones will start to float at about 4500rpm or so. Post a picture of your rig here so everyone can see it. I was riding mine today and I am thinking about fabbing a suspension fork with a set of pw80 Yamaha shocks with a home made tripple tree like the 6 million dollar Doodle. It needs a front suspension. I was also thinking about doing a custom seat for it. Getting some progressive rate foam and cutting it to a slightly wider shape and a little thicker to soak up the bumps and having it covered at an upholstery shop. I heard you can fab a suspension fork yourself for about $150. I am surprised that someone hasn't made a front suspension kit that you can buy since there are lots of DB30s out there.
Here's the current set up. The engine is all stock at the moment. Not sure what I plan to do with it at the moment, I still need to break it in. I only rode it for about 30 minutes the day I built it and I have the throttle pretty limited right now.

Definitely got to fix the foot pegs on the frame. I may just cut the middle out and paint them. Not sure if I want to go through the process of removing it completely to reposition it.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

I got one runs good an holds together too 9,000 rpms with rod an flywheel building another one right now an I expect it too run even better
novanick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

I went over to harbor freight the other days to get a fewtools ok more than a few and clipped a coupon for a $99. predator engine - need one for the Western Flyer, they didn't have any on the shelf but the manager assured me they had many and when the other manager went next door to their warehouse he returned with 3 and said they have been selling a bunch of them. Really when you think of it $99. for a new motor it hardly justifies rebuilding a old one
Bobscooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

The price is worth it.

I was quite skeptical at first, but this Predator is showing to be a good if not great motor.

When B&S gets their prices comparable, then maybe, but for now, The Predator is the king of cheap, affordable, easily modifiable HP.
Stangrcr1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Honda / Clone / Predator Engines

Tags
engines?, good, predator