`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Honda / Clone / Predator Engines

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Predator 79cc ??

Anyone using the predator 79cc engine? Im building a mini trike and need an engine that doesnt take up much space. I prefer the look of the flathead engines, but I cant deny the small size and how cheap the predator can be had.
Whats the word on these little guys?
gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone? Bummer..
Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

dont have one but ive have heard their under powered and clutches dont always fit do to shaft being wrong size
tomanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been playing with one on a test bench for a couple of weeks now. Out of the box they lack in throttle response and are hard starting when warm (even with a little choke). I installed a free-breathing filter element, modified a clone header using a die grinder to the bolt holes and header port, and ground the flange to clear the motors fins. Enlarged the jet just slightly and ..wow. Throttle response is snappy..it roars even with governor intact. Hot starts at half choke are one pull affairs. The shaft is 16mm, so 5/8 clutches won't fit unless you "sand" the shaft down. (YOUTUBE videos show this) I bought a 16mm clutch from OMB. My bike isn't done yet so this is as much as I can tell ya. Remember, it's 79cc..........spooker
Spooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info! Wouldn't it be easier to just bore the clutch out to 16mm instead of grinding down the shaft? Just a thought.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Why not find someone selling a new 97cc Doddle bug engine that is all ready to use?
oldsledz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gasser, buy me a case of beer and I will give you a running 97cc DB motor, with a clutch. You are only about 230 miles south of me. I might even meet you part way...

Problem with boring the clutch is most clutches have the key machined into them, and boring will remove the shaft key.
Stangrcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

That would be awesome. I've actually been meaning to head north to visit some friends. I might have to take you up on that offer!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooker View Post
Out of the box they lack in throttle response and are hard starting when warm (even with a little choke). I installed a free-breathing filter element, modified a clone header using a die grinder to the bolt holes and header port, and ground the flange to clear the motors fins. Enlarged the jet just slightly and ..wow. Throttle response is snappy..it roars even with governor intact. Hot starts at half choke are one pull affairs. The shaft is 16mm, so 5/8 clutches won't fit unless you "sand" the shaft down. (YOUTUBE videos show this) I bought a 16mm clutch from OMB. My bike isn't done yet so this is as much as I can tell ya. Remember, it's 79cc..........spooker
I have this same engine, and while they seem to have worked out the shaft size issue, it is still hard to start hot or cold....how's the compression supposed to feel with a slow pull on the rope? It seems to pull through the compression stroke too easily so I wonder if the valves are properly adjusted. Can you post the details of the jet enlargement procedure? Thanks!
driggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hello driggs,

These engines turn over easy because there is a compression release mechanism on the cam (pretty sure it has one). They are hard too start because they are set-up too lean (EPA rules). I don't have one, but think a good runner would be about the same or better than DB30 97cc, cause it's OHV vs flathead.
chazdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Honda / Clone / Predator Engines

Tags
79cc, predator