Recent content by Pony Joe

1. P

Ignition coil burnout

Well, I've run the trike a bunch this past week and that seems to have fixed it. Dummy move on my part for miswiring it. Just don't get why the first coil lasted so long. Once again a huge thank you to you all for your help and patience.
  2. P

Ignition coil burnout

Yes, got it on Amazon. Lifan factory parts don't seem very common.
  3. P

Ignition coil burnout

And the black wire coming from the oil sensor was plugged into the ground coming from key switch.
  4. P

Ignition coil burnout

Think I got it. According to the schematic the big black wire coming from the rectifier should join a big black coming from the switch and then go to ground. The small black coil wire should join the small black coming from the oil sensor at a factory y and go to the key switch. The rectifier...
  5. P

Ignition coil burnout

I fully understand you. When the key is off it reads 12v from positive to wire. But when the key is on it reads 12v from negative to wire. I'm guessing maybe that's why the coil started dying? Just don't know why it was fine for 3 months and now its not. Don't know how its getting voltage to it...
  6. P

Ignition coil burnout

Just now did what you said, spark wizard. Key off, one lead on wire one on positive post, reads 12 volts. Key on, one lead on wire one on ground, reads 12 volts.Key on, lead on wire and lead on ground.Key off, lead on wire and lead on positive.
  7. P

Ignition coil burnout

Apologies for not replying yesterday, got busy and didn't see these posts til just now. Let's see, the engine is a Lifan 190 FD-B, 15hp. The coils don't look damaged but after each coil died I put a spark tester on it both times to confirm, no spark. Replace coil, spark is back, it just doesn't...
  8. P

Ignition coil burnout

It seems like it would. But like I say, I have difficulty following electrical stuff. Give me mechanical problems any time over this.
  9. P

Ignition coil burnout

Well I couldn't wait. Unplugged the black wire, no change. Also unplugged the oil sensor, no change. With the key on and a test light on the black wire, it lights up. If I keep the tester on the wire and plug it into the coil the light goes out. Don't know if that means anything, just information.
  10. P

Ignition coil burnout

No, ain't tried that. I do remember that, you had me switch some wires around to make it shut off. It is a black wire. I'll try it tomorrow, don't think I'll go back out tonight. I figure this can't be that complicated, there's only so much stuff there.
  11. P

Ignition coil burnout

Yes, checked oil and even swapped out the switch to be safe. The thing is when I change out the coil it fires up first crank and runs awhile and then I lose spark. Replace the coil, same thing. Runs awhile and loses spark.
  12. P

Ignition coil burnout

Never have ran it without a battery. It has a pull rope starter besides the electric start so I would assume it can be operated without the battery. I ordered a the new coil based off the numbers on the old coil. There is a schematic of sorts but its pretty poor. There's very little wiring to...
  13. P

Ignition coil burnout

I'm sorry but I'm not sure, not good with the electrical side of things. It has a battery and a rectifier if that tells you anything.
  14. P

Ignition coil burnout

Ok fellers. I put this Lifan engine on my super trike back in the fall( see super trike rebirth thread) and its been great. Engine runs strong. A couple of days ago it lost fire. Replaced the ignition coil and thought I was good to go. It quit within 5 minutes. Put another new one on and rode it...
  15. P

Super tryke rebirth

Could be I guess, I don't have much experience with these clutches. But knock on wood mine has been great thus far. She runs up about 45mph and that suits me.