Trailhorse resto....mod

Triley41395

Here is another one I'm dabbling with a bit. It may or may not get done this year. Don't have much yet.
I bought this one thinking it was bonanza because it was one of 2 frames for sale together and turned out only 1 was a bonanza. Both frame and forks are in pretty good shape. A little chain rash and a couple extra holes in the motor plate but I can live with it. It does have the band brake bracket so that helps. I've got a set of 6" manco wheels for it and a set of foot pegs to add up forward. One fender is pretty nice the other is terrible but it should weld up pretty good we will see. 20231231_135518.jpg 20231231_135857.jpg 20231231_135918.jpg No seat,tires, nut,bolts..not much. What you see is all I have for now. This one will also be prismatic bright orange and it will have a white briggs 5 horse. Screenshot_20231231_090932_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

joshua. c.

I have to say I have this same frame and those mid mount pegs feel pritty perfect where that are and they are great when you hit a rough section of trail because you can stand up to absorb the bumps better. I'm thinking of converting the bike in my avater to mid mount pegs. so why the front pegs?

Triley41395

I have to say I have this same frame and those mid mount pegs feel pritty perfect where that are and they are great when you hit a rough section of trail because you can stand up to absorb the bumps better. I'm thinking of converting the bike in my avater to mid mount pegs. so why the front pegs?
Just to stretch out and cruze. I don't do much trail riding and I'm definitely not going to remove the originals,it will have both. If I don't like them they are removable but I think they will dress it up a little.

Front mount forks are terrible.

Wonder if anyone makes a repro of that boot that isn’t $40 each? o_O
Mine has solid forks but if bonanza are the same you can use kawasaki parts on your trailhorse
Strictly Hodaka used to offer repops years ago for around $50 a set, but I don't think so anymore. I've used Honda Z50 boots in the past with OK results, but the top is too BIG and seals for crap.
I have a pair of those Kawasaki boots on a bike I'm building, and off all the boots I've used over the years they are the best. It's a snug fit, and the rubber is nice n soft. Well worth the $$ IMO.
I also have a NOS Bonanza boot I've been meaning to send off to a guy, he makes a mold and pours new ones. I've bough from him in the past, and it's good work but you can definitely tell they are reproduction.

DaddyJohn

I have a pair of those Kawasaki boots on a bike I'm building, and off all the boots I've used over the years they are the best. It's a snug fit, and the rubber is nice n soft. Well worth the $$ IMO.
Good to know, however, there’s just no way I’m spending $80 on boots for a bike I paid $100 for. Call it a personal hang-up, or call me fortunate not to be a restorationist (lack of proper boots won’t keep me awake at night). I’ll be keeping an eye out for other alternatives though, and will share if anything presents itself!

It's all good, I completely understand. In my case It was one of those things, where if you were going to do this, might as well do that and it snowballed from there. Devil is in the detail as they say. I also only paid a C-note for said project, and stopped counting well over a grand:D
FWIW, stay AWAY from any knock off boots. I had a pair of the Honda ones on my Hauler project, and they never even saw sunlight and cracked all to hell right in the shop. Total garbage.

Triley41395

It's all good, I completely understand. In my case It was one of those things, where if you were going to do this, might as well do that and it snowballed from there. Devil is in the detail as they say. I also only paid a C-note for said project, and stopped counting well over a grand:D
FWIW, stay AWAY from any knock off boots. I had a pair of the Honda ones on my Hauler project, and they never even saw sunlight and cracked all to hell right in the shop. Total garbage.
That's good to know about the knock offs, I need a pair for the bonanza I'm working on.

DaddyJohn

I got a pair of boots from 4into1.com for a KZ750 twin I was rehabbing and same thing. Chinese motorcycle repop boots seem to be a bit hit and miss.

Well I have the fenders welded up. They will look just fine after a little body work.
Haven't figured out yet how to mount the band brake to the manco wheels yet but I have a couple ideas.
I'm pretty sure the band drum is just bolted to the Manco wheels using spacers, pretty simple setup. I may be able to get some pics this weekend.
Fenders came out great!

Triley41395

I'm pretty sure the band drum is just bolted to the Manco wheels using spacers, pretty simple setup. I may be able to get some pics this weekend.
Fenders came out great!
My mancos are only threaded on one side but it looks like I can put the two threaded halves together so I have bolt holes on both sides. I don't need any threaded holes in the front so it should work. I would like to see pictures when you get a chance.
Lee 20240406_080229.jpg