From the Ground up Super Bronc Restoration

I have posted about 20 new pics in the Heald Media section. I have an old Blue Frame with the 12" tires. I stripped it down to get it in a sandblasting cabinet yesterday. wrestled it in got as much of the rust, old paint & other gunk off of it as I could down to bare metal on 90% of it. have a bit of meticulous work left before paint. I have always had great luck with POR15 & that is what the base will be. Also need to remove a couple more tires from rimz so I can blast those as well. I would love to just do Every rim I have & then paint it & mount new rubber with new stems but the 22x12-8 tires are not cheap. Opting for tubes on the best of them & new rubber for the Fframe I just finished. So here we go .... I also have 2 Super Trykes I will be working on as well as 3 other Bikes in various stages of disrepair/restoration, I lost a phone last week so All the pics I had are gone with it... so starting over...
I need 7 22x12-8 would settle for 22x11-8 even 21x12-8 or 21x11-8 would work
2 18x8.5-8
2 15x6-6
Looking at well over $1000.00 in new rubber. I would be happy with some used tires. not all of them are wasted but some are well beyond useable & hung their tongue out a lonnnnng time ago..... Some could make it a short while with a tube. Eventually I will get there. For now it will be restore the rimz as they will just continue to rust without cleaning & painting... So not only will there be the Super Bronc but ALL the bikes & Trykes I have will be getting a new foundation of restored rim, axles, bearings, Springs & like the title says, " From the Ground Up ". blueVTX - Copy.jpg SuperBroncRimzBlasted.jpg.jpg SuperBroncRimzBlasted2.jpg.jpg SuperBroncRimzprogress2.jpg.jpeg SuperBroncRimzB4blasting.jpg.jpeg SuperBrnocRimzpenetratingoil.jpg.jpeg SuperBroncRimzsadshape.jpg.jpeg BroncRimzprogress.jpg.jpeg blueVTX - Copy.jpg

Biffmini

I have posted about 20 new pics in the Heald Media section. I have an old Blue Frame with the 12" tires. I stripped it down to get it in a sandblasting cabinet yesterday. wrestled it in got as much of the rust, old paint & other gunk off of it as I could down to bare metal on 90% of it. have a bit of meticulous work left before paint. I have always had great luck with POR15 & that is what the base will be. Also need to remove a couple more tires from rimz so I can blast those as well. I would love to just do Every rim I have & then paint it & mount new rubber with new stems but the 22x12-8 tires are not cheap. Opting for tubes on the best of them & new rubber for the Fframe I just finished. So here we go .... I also have 2 Super Trykes I will be working on as well as 3 other Bikes in various stages of disrepair/restoration, I lost a phone last week so All the pics I had are gone with it... so starting over...
I need 7 22x12-8 would settle for 22x11-8 even 21x12-8 or 21x11-8 would work
2 18x8.5-8
2 15x6-6
Looking at well over $1000.00 in new rubber. I would be happy with some used tires. not all of them are wasted but some are well beyond useable & hung their tongue out a lonnnnng time ago..... Some could make it a short while with a tube. Eventually I will get there. For now it will be restore the rimz as they will just continue to rust without cleaning & painting... So not only will there be the Super Bronc but ALL the bikes & Trykes I have will be getting a new foundation of restored rim, axles, bearings, Springs & like the title says, " From the Ground Up ". View attachment 312646 View attachment 312639 View attachment 312640 View attachment 312641 View attachment 312642 View attachment 312643 View attachment 312644 View attachment 312645 View attachment 312646
nice work! save the minis

I hope you didn't sandblast those springs . The vibration of the blast media will change the characteristics of the metal making them weaker. Keep up the good progress. Looking forward to seeing it when its done .
They were pretty Rusted/pitted & rotted anyway (if you zoom in on them the top spring from right to left, coils 12, 13 & 14 are missing a lot of metal & that is the good side.... the spring below that to the right, just under that long battery support bolt layin across the spring, look how much metal is gone on those coils.... they look pretty bad imo) so I'm certain that the Previous Owner/Abuser's lack of maintenance/copious neglect & definite abuse damaged their integrity long B4 any amount of sand blasting Ever could have. The regulator was set to 50psi for the springs & the gauge at the cabinet never went over 48 everything else was at 100psi so I will probably just hang them up on the wall next to the grease gun & I have 2 sets of new springs coming soon. The lower fork tubes are pitted up something awfull too so I thiMk some new pieces are in order .... we will see what happens. Even when I was a 12 year old kid I was greasing my VT5 Forks & springs regularly. Not a fun or glamorous job But I understood the importance of it back then. I wadded myself up on that bike so many times but I had a blast.
Memories......

Last edited:
Some more progress today. Painted the rimz with a second coat of POR15. Got some Gloss White Top Coat POR15 for the final color on these. Then a couple coats of Clear & remount the tires with new tubes in them for now because new Rubber is expensive. Eventually I will have 22x12-8 Carlisle or something really nice like that. Still have lots of small stuff to do (nutz, bolts & brackets ) The project is coming along anyway. Rimzpainted1.jpeg Paintinparts.jpeg Rimzpainted1.jpeg Paintinparts.jpeg Rimzpainted1.jpeg

Last edited: