two 1970 Speedway Silver Shadow's lighted and non-lighted

I think my Silver Shadows will top out about 70 mph. The power band in 3rd gear is a little crazy, especially with a short wheel base! It is crazy to think these bike were made for kids!

I don't recall how much the Silver Shadow was back then, but the Volcano was around $549 or so, which was a ALOT of money back in 1971...so probably not too many 'kids' riding them...having said that, the 80cc 2 stroke moto x bikes are pretty darn fast and are ridden by 10 year olds quite a bit...Nonetheless, my Volcano is def. good for 65-70mph and it's very tourqey with the 185cc engine, but they are very docile engines, whereas I think the Sachs was a lot more high revving, like a 'true' 2 stroke. (here's a pic of my Volcano)

I think the Silver Shadow is one of the coolest mini's EVER made...What a beast! To think you have several...WOW. Great resto job as well. I appreciate people who are willing to do it right, because it isn't cheap!! Well done!!! Top shelf.

Factory Pipe.JPG

I don't recall how much the Silver Shadow was back then, but the Volcano was around $549 or so, which was a ALOT of money back in 1971...so probably not too many 'kids' riding them...having said that, the 80cc 2 stroke moto x bikes are pretty darn fast and are ridden by 10 year olds quite a bit...Nonetheless, my Volcano is def. good for 65-70mph and it's very tourqey with the 185cc engine, but they are very docile engines, whereas I think the Sachs was a lot more high revving, like a 'true' 2 stroke. (here's a pic of my Volcano)

I think the Silver Shadow is one of the coolest mini's EVER made...What a beast! To think you have several...WOW. Great resto job as well. I appreciate people who are willing to do it right, because it isn't cheap!! Well done!!! Top shelf.

View attachment 85651
That is so cool. What the story on the chrome pipe. Was it an upgraded option?

Very nice Volcano! I am not sure of the production numbers on the Volcano, but I know they are very low.
Thank you for the compliment on my restorations. I try to make my restoration as correct as possible, even down to using all of the original bolts.

Actually, the question should be 'what's the story on the stinger pipe (expansion chamber)? The chrome pipe is what they come with...and the expansion chamber was a VERY rare option. ;-)

Those Silver Shadow restorations are top shelf...hopefully I'll get a chance to see them someday ;-) It's in my top 3 fav mini's of all time...

The story goes in 1970 300 engines were purchased from Sachs. These engines accounted for the engines used on 1970 and 71 Silver Shadows, 1972 and 73 Super Spyder's. There were supposedly 22-25 1970 Silver Shadow's made (I personally restored 4 of them for different people) and 150 plus 1971 Silver Shadow's (I personally restored 5 of them). The remainder of the engines were used on Super Spyder's. I have a pretty detailed list of all of the Silver Shadows that are know. The VIN numbers are very consecutive but the engine numbers are all over the place. I found 71 bikes with the original engine that have an earlier number then the 1970 bikes with the original engines. This confirms to me that all of the engines were purchased at the same time.
Speedway did have a Silver Shadow buy back/exchange program for a Tecumseh powered Speedway due to lawsuits and unhappy parents.

For people who had the privilege of riding one, it is an unforgettable experience!
I have a 1970 Sliver Shadow Speedway motocross with 125 Sachs. My Dad purchased new I think. I did not realize how rare it is until today. I'm looking to restore. Only missing Air cleaner far as I can tell. This thing had quite the stories.

I have a 1970 Sliver Shadow Speedway motocross with 125 Sachs. My Dad purchased new I think. I did not realize how rare it is until today. I'm looking to restore. Only missing Air cleaner far as I can tell. This thing had quite the stories.
Start a new thread with pics. Welcome aboard.