Hypothetical starter for my 5hp Briggs flathead

pomfish

I can only vouch for Tec engines but they always are within the footprint of the engine.
Think I have a 7 hp briggs snowblower engine with starter in the barn that I can check tomorrow if that would help.
Most are set up for 120v AC though so that is going to be something to work around but there may have been 12v starters?
OK, maybe you are saying how far Forward from engine will it stick? Probably more than you appear to have room for if that is the case.

Minimichael

I can only vouch for Tec engines but they always are within the footprint of the engine.
Think I have a 7 hp briggs snowblower engine with starter in the barn that I can check tomorrow if that would help.
Most are set up for 120v AC though so that is going to be something to work around but there may have been 12v starters?
OK, maybe you are saying how far Forward from engine will it stick? Probably more than you appear to have room for if that is the case.
Exactly, I mean how far forward would it stick out. I would have about 3 inches to work with, from the block, max. No need to dig out your snowblower, as I've got one similar as well. Thanks tho, @pomfish. And to your point, an AC starter would not be ideal anyway.

Last edited:

Triley41395

I've seen 12 volt troy built tillers with 3.5, 5 tecumsehs, and 8hp briggs. They probably made them with a 5hp briggs but I have not seen one personally. I've also seen one with a Kohler. I'm not sure they would work for your project or not but they started with a car battery.

Show a picture if the teeth on your flywheel.Someone once told me 12 volt teeth were closer together than 110 volt teeth. I have a 12 volt starter still in box. I can measure teeth TIP TO TIP and find out if a 12 volt starter is compatible with your flywheel.

This is a new 12 volt starter for a Briggs 24 HP OHV Vtwin. Teeth are 5/16 point to point.
Case is 3 inch diameter. Has a steel bracket that is easy to drill and modify. Bracket extends about 1/4 inch from the round body. IMG_20240427_125450.jpg