Search results

1. K

Building up a Cushman

They used these motors in 1/4 midget racing 'back in the day' and those guys got 20 hp and more out of them. But they converted them to water cooling and ran total-loss ignitions with lightweight flywheels. Hardly practical. I think 12-15 hp is pretty achievable though. Focus on the...
  2. K

1940's homemade scooter (thats right 60yrs!)

What a cool scooter! It just screams "CUSHMAN." I think it could be one of the pre-war models that were collectively called "Milk Stools." But I've certainly never seen that neck anywhere before.
  3. K

2 Piece Wheel Question

As Strigoi said, it won't work. The silicone part of your idea is great, but tubeless rims have a very tight tolerance that in turn interfaces with a very tight tolerance built into a tubeless tire to make the air-tight seal.
  4. K

Newbie and son need tech help!

Sabby, You might want to check out New Engines Discount Engines Gas Portable Generators Pressure Washers. They have line drawings and dimensions for most of the engines they sell. You'll find that most manufacturers' engines in the 5 horsepower range have the same "footprint." So you can...
  5. K

Can anyone identify this spline pattern?

I have two Harley Davidson "Topper" scooters. One is a 1961, the other I'm not sure of. It is late, maybe a '64. The '64 has no motor. The '61 has a great engine, but its magneto doesn't work, nor does its clutch. After some considerable research, I've found that's the case with just about...
  6. K

JC, Good idea, but I've got only about 1/8" of offset to work with. Randy, Thanks, but... Toppers came in 14 & 16 tooth flavors. I think I'm going to need 18 or 20 teeth before I am done.
  7. K

Does anyone recognize this spline pattern? It has an 1-1/4" inside diameter with 21 splines. It for my Harley scooter. Replacements are unobtainable, so I'd like to find something else with the same spline, throw it in the lathe and cut it down to just a 1-5/8" hub, then I can buy weld-on...
  8. K

Modifying Comet 44 clutch

Can a Comet 44 be modified to run a wider belt? My driven pulley uses a 1-3/16" belt. Can I just put a 5/16" spacer somewhere in the Comet 44 to shim it up from 7/8"? I'll be running an LO 206 Briggs & Stratton (about 8 horse power) in an old Harley Davidson scooter.
  9. K

Do any of you respoke wheels?

I just start lacing on a table, then I chuck the axle up in the old vice and finish that way.
  10. K

Briggs Governor

Yes, as long as the hill isn't too steep. The "throttle" on a governed motor is actually connected to the governor. The governor is connected to the throttle plate on the carburetor. The governor does its best to hold the motor at the rpm you chose, and usually does a pretty good job of it...
  11. K

Briggs horizontal mounted on angle...

The kart guys mount their Briggs engines anywhere from 5 to 30 degrees from "horizontal" in order to get clearance for the rear tire. I'm working on a scooter now that will have a 15 degree mount.
  12. K

honda gx 390 clone doodlebug project

enginecrzy, Which Comet clutch did you use? The 94C Duster?
  13. K

Need advice on buying an engine

Thanks Jay, I checked out both web sites...cool stuff!
  14. K

Yeah, I know what you mean. But parts for these things are nearly non-existent. When you do find them, they're priced accordingly. And if you do spend the money on the right parts, they'll just break again because the design was pretty thoroughly flawed to begin with. I'm actually going to...
  15. K

Thanks for everyone's input. I like the 140cc Honda clone, but I'm not sure how the wife feels about shifting. Also, I just fell into a killer deal on a 342cc OHV Briggs and Stratton. It's new in the box and I only gave $130 for it. There is room under the bodywork to mount a B&S OHV with...
  16. K

i folks! We're brand new members here, looking for some engine advice. My wife recently purchased a 1960 Harley Davidson "Topper" scooter in need of some mechanical work. The further we delve into the engine, the more we think we need to abandon the current arrangement and re-power the...