Search results

1. M

my cursed 8hp briggs

you're right...kinda. upon further inspection the flywheel pin was slightly sheared...enough to throw the timing off. however, after i gave up hope on it, we discovered that the intake valve was not seating properly, allowing pressure to escape back into the carb. that was the reason for the...
  2. M

my cursed 8hp briggs

well, it must have been the carb. i put a "new" one on and it fired right up. i have no idea why the old one didn't want to work, maybe i'll just scrap it out. thanks for the help, guys!!
  3. M

my cursed 8hp briggs

this is the carb. i'll put the air filter on and try that.
  4. M

my cursed 8hp briggs

i'll do that today and get back. yes. it has run before...like a bear. i had it running the other day. once it was started, i adjusted the jets. it idled nice and ran at hi speed nice too. turned it off and it started right up. once it cooled down, i was back to square one.
  5. M

my cursed 8hp briggs

well, it didn't start anyways. same issue: gas leaking out of the carb but the plug still dry. i'll put the muffler back on, pull the carb off yet again, check the float for the 100th time and see if there is anything i missed.
  6. M

my cursed 8hp briggs

i don't have a clue as to what size the muffler is rated for. i didn't put it on. i'm going to remove it and see if there's a difference. sheesh.....i've been going nuts trying to determine what the problem was and if that's it, i'm going to scream. i'll be back.................
  7. M

my cursed 8hp briggs

it originally had one of those screened square mufflers on it. one of the mount screw holes was badly stripped, so i put one of those long round ones on that screws right into the port. are you thinking too much back pressure?
  8. M

my cursed 8hp briggs

i have a briggs 8hp model 170402. i have rebuilt the carb...twice, no less, in an attempt to get it running. even bought a new float. no matter what i do, it will flood out of the intake, but the spark plug remains dry. (yes, it has a good spark and a new plug) i have had blisters on my hand...
  9. M

shear pin troubles

after shearing a few pins, i found out you really have to crank down on the coil clutch to get the fly wheel tight. i don't own the tools to do it, but the guy at a local shop did it for me. he had both the fly wheel wrench and the clutch wrench and said they had to be something like 400 inch...
  10. M

shear pin troubles

thanks. i'll make sure the recoil clutch is very tight and try it again.
  11. M

shear pin troubles

i have a 5hp briggs that i'm trying to get running. when i was checking the coil for spark, i removed the fly wheel and put a 1/2" drill on the shaft to turn it over. it turned over very easy, of course, and there was no restriction. when i replace the flywheel and recoil, it will start, but...
  12. M

8hp briggs carb ????

i am, if still available. i have been trying to rebuild two of them and i'm at my wits end. all they do is flood out on me. at this point, i'm willing to try anything!!!!!!!