Vintage Class: vwfan79's Ruttman Spyder

vwfan79

Well I pulled the motor and pulled the head, there was gas in the intake and alot of gas in the oil. If the cylinder walls are getting washed because of excessive gas in the oil will this cause my blowby problem. I'm trying to remember when this started and i think it was after riding with the new carb for a while.

vwfan79

Ok not just the fuel in the oil, drained oil, refilled, started and ran and still lots of smoke. Man I should have just left it alone, it wasn't smoking this bad before and I was wanting to fix it. So I am putting it back the way it was with the other block and hopefully I regain my compression and less smoke. Gotta have it ready for the ride and camp out next weekend.

vwfan79

I know, now I have to get it right on shear principal. Gonna get it to were I can see if the compression is back up. If not the only other thing I changed that would cause this is the rings. I may have used the wrong ones but I don't think so, gotta find my receipt so I can see what part number I used.

vwfan79

Ok so after working all week after work I tore the motor apart, measured and inspected everything, started reassembling, broke an intake bolt, broke an easy out, and finally cleaned and completely reassembled the motor I found the problem and it seems to ok now. I couldn't take much of a ride as it was 8:30pm and I didn't want to piss the neighbors off. But I did let it idle a while and it wasn't smoking, so thats a start. I also made a new header, something a little smaller and added a catch can, I think it all looks good, except for the chips in the paint but :shrug: So the conclusion I came up with was the I either didn't clean things good enough during the reassembling or some other mystery thing happened but the top portion of the piston was scored and worn along with the cylinder walls, just uunder a 16th of an inch. I honed the cylinder and used another piston I had and made sure everthing was super clean and it seems to be good now. The new header has a good sound to it too, click the picture for a video.