Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Thumbs up What Is The Best Clearcoat?

I need an extremely durable clearcoat to protect a gun-blued minibike frame/fork setup...

I blued some sample pieces of steel tubing and shot them with rattle can Rustoleum clear to see how they looked...

I like the end result (versus paint or powdercoat), so I need some input on the best type of clearcoat to protect against rust...

My brother has a cheapie gun setup I can use to shoot it, so I'm not looking for the can brands...

Your opinion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Auto paint but an easy way without a gun is to go to Napa auto and get a two part spray can. It's a can that you press the bottom button and it injects the "part II" in the clear and then you shake it then use it up in so much time. I think it's $20 .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Try Diamond Clear from Eastwood.
    Eastwood Company: Search Results for diamond clear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    clear powder coat?

Can parts be coated with clear Powder Coating?
    Yes! We offer clear powder coatings that can be applied over polished brass, aluminum and stainless – such as wheels, plumbing fixtures and lighting fixtures! We also offer an industrial strength clear powder coating that can withstand very harsh cleaning solvents (such as Methyl Ethyl Ketone ‘MEK’ and acetone). These types of clear coatings can be applied over silk screened/pad printed parts or panels to protect the graphics.
    Many of the motorcycle enthusiasts polish the lip of their rims and powder the centers one color, and clear the entire rim for that eternal polished look!
    ----- ANDREWS POWDER COATING ----- faq, powder coating, powder, coat, resin, resins, oven, cure, environmentally friendly, Powder Coating information, Powder Coating questions, how to Powder Coat, powder coating help, Powder Coating technique, Powder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Diamont, Transtar, Dupont, Spieshecker, PPG. Really any clear that requires a reducer & a hardener will do just fine. But you should probably get a quick cure type clear unless you got a heated booth. Transtar makes a decent quick clear & the yellowing factor is pretty good also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GTO View Post
    Thats a good idea if it sticks well to non blasted parts.
    since he wants to clear parts that are blued i'd imagine that it would work ok.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    what is wrong with the Rustoleum clear? do you really want to spend well over 100.00 for dupont, ppg ? clear is not really desinged to paint bare metal and un sanded as well. go with your first idea if it doesent work out in the long run, little money wasted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by george3 View Post
    what is wrong with the Rustoleum clear? do you really want to spend well over 100.00 for dupont, ppg ? clear is not really desinged to paint bare metal and un sanded as well. go with your first idea if it doesent work out in the long run, little money wasted.
    Clear is used on lots of stuff like brass, metal and so on. A two part will be the toughest, that's why I suggested the can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    nostrixoxide said it automotive paint is your best choice for clear. when you get into paints that require harders,now you are talking about some tuff stuff that won't peel,fade,turn yellow,gas stain,etc....
    urethane clears..........very good....dupont imron....excellentbut don't breath it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast