`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > Classified Section > Mini Bikes & Parts WANTED

Mini Bikes & Parts WANTED Make a request here for any parts or mini bikes wanted.

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Have Hawg Ty

I just picked up this Hawg Ty. What kind of engine is in this and what Jiangdong engine model (or other) do I use to order parts, it needs rings and head gasket and air filter, hopefully not to much else. If it cheaper and easier to drop in a new engine I will, any recommendation on that would be helpful. Also I want to put a torque a verter on it.
rickstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

ummmm....a Hawg What? Post some pictures so we can see what you're working with.
Buy a HF 6.5 HP Clone and be done with your problems. They're on sale at Harbor Freight Tools right now for $99.00
mmisterbungl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Post some pics and someone should be able to identify it for you.
C9H13NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

OK here are some pics:
Mini Bike pictures by rickstir - Photobucket
Its a HAWG TY CHOPPER made by American Motorsports in China
I found the Manuel, thanks to the forum, TY. But I think the company is no more.
I really don't want to mess with this engine, I believe its only 5.5hp.
But for a few bucks in seals and rings I might.
What I really want is one of these 11hp electric start engines from Harbor Freight. And also install a Torque Converter.
I am a big guy, ride a Harley and I love this lil Hawg. Any help would be appreciated.
Any thoughts on more HP?
What about these Torque Converters?
Also looking for a real tear drop gas tank.
I would also like to find another one of these Hawg for the wife.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

You are in luck because parts from a 6.5 clone will interchange with a 5.5 clone, except for the crank. For rings and seals, go to Affordable Go Karts - Home page - AGK - http://www.affordablegokarts.com for a TC you will have to buy a chinese clone of one from GTC or check ebay. An 11 hp clone with an electric start from HF might fit, but you would need to modify the mounting plate and your alignment from clutch to sprocket would be thrown off. Check craigslist for another bike, and you could probably find a teardrop tank on ebay or have one made out of Stainless Steel by a member here.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

well on the way home today I stopped by HF and they have 6.5hp for $89.00 tomorrow on Turkey day, what luck. I will have to go this way and install a torque converter. I hope I get the power to haul my 250lb ass around on the dirt. I looked at the 11hp engines and it looks way to big, but then how cool that would look if you could fit in there.
I saw the picture of the guy that filled in this fake tank to make real. I wonder if he has the sheet metal piece, roughly formed, and could send me one ($) I MiG weld or braise gas weld. If he already formed one, he should be able to form another and save me the busted knuckles.
Any advice on how to pull a little more power from this 6.5hp engine,,,governor, pipe, intake???
TY, Rick
will post more pics soon
Old 11-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just picked up the 6.5hp engine from HF, $97.00 I even spilled for the $19 insurance for 2 years. Now I figure to pull the governor, exhaust and intake. If I blow it up I go get a new one, so long as I keep all the old parts.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...e/IMG_8533.jpg
I am now shopping for a Torque Converter and Gas Tank fix. I cant get access to the engine gas tank opening as of yet
Please anybody have ether of these let me know.
I am also looking for another one of these Bikes in the Central California or Las Vegas area.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Pull that fake gas tank and stick on a real tank from an old HD Sportster. Lose the tank on the HF clone and get rid of the bicycle seat, I've heard its uncomfortable anyway. Frank Davis made one of these into his "Shortster". I'll see if I can hunt down the thread.

Here ya go!

Need help identifing this frame set

Last edited by DZLBIKE; 11-25-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Add thread link
DZLBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstir View Post
I just picked up the 6.5hp engine from HF, $97.00 I even spilled for the $19 insurance for 2 years. Now I figure to pull the governor, exhaust and intake. If I blow it up I go get a new one, so long as I keep all the old parts.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...e/IMG_8533.jpg
I am now shopping for a Torque Converter and Gas Tank fix. I cant get access to the engine gas tank opening as of yet
Please anybody have ether of these let me know.
I am also looking for another one of these Bikes in the Central California or Las Vegas area.
Popular first modifications are:

Header
air filter adapter and air filter
Bigger main jet
Gx140 emulsion tube
Heavier valve springs.

After that, the Gov can be removed or you can do what I have seen a couple members do and opt for a high compression head with an aftermarket carb that is slightly bigger than the stock one.

If you remove the Gov you will want to buy:

Billet Aluminum Connecting Rod- Billet Rod 3.303 Honda GX200
Billet Aluminum Flywheel- ARC Billet Flywheel - Honda GX200 / Clone
Heavier Valve springs- affordablegokarts: CYLINDER HEADS & VALVETRAIN

After that you can get into different cams, advance the timing, different carbs, porting, milling....

EDIT:

As for the TC, they are no longer being made in the USA but the original manufacturer has closed their doors and sold their equipment and remaining stock. Chinese made clones are availble for a good chunk of $$ and have been tested with mixed results. Here is a link: http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=168 3rd item down, the #40/41 chain can be switched to #35 with just the change of a sprocket and the un-threading of a nut.

Last edited by C9H13NO3; 11-25-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you very much for the information, I will be referring to these notes over the next few weeks.
The Torque A Verter by Comet I found on 218352A - Torq-A-Verter, 3/4" Bore 12 Teeth, #35 Chain Torque Converter
Although when you go check out it say something about orders from China??? I wonder if they have the Comet? I gather its the better one and at $179.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > Classified Section > Mini Bikes & Parts WANTED

Tags
hawg ty