Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking '83 Honda three-wheeler/Briggs and Stratton engine swap

I have a 1983 Honda three-wheeler thats original engine doesn't run. Just recently I have got a old cast-iron block Briggs 5hp running like it was new. Any way I was wondering if it would be a good engine swap? The wrecked 200cc honda for a Briggs 5hp?

Has anybody done this swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayon View Post
    I have a 1983 Honda three-wheeler thats original engine doesn't run. Just recently I have got a old cast-iron block Briggs 5hp running like it was new. Any way I was wondering if it would be a good engine swap? The wrecked 200cc honda for a Briggs 5hp?

Has anybody done this swap?
    I doubt it has been done. You would need a TC to even get the thing moving, and you would need to do lots of modifications to the frame to get it to mount.

How many cc is a 5hp anyway? Because there are smaller engines in three-wheelers like mine.

GoooDD NO!!! If you do you will have an under powered trike that won't have any torque as well as no top speed. (in case you haven't noticed it weighs 200lbs) Bottom line, it won't be any fun and you'll be ruining a trike for no reason. And I really am not being mean, when I say this, but if you can't figure out that honda engine(just as easy as the Briggs) than you are not qualified to start hacking on the Honda frame to get a Briggs to fit in there

Besides, The 3 wheeler community is way more vicious than we are when it comes to people hacking on our toys....Not kidding; I should know, I'm part of both.

Seen a yamaha blaster with a briggs or something similar years ago on EBAY.
    Of course I have no idea if it actually ran/moved but it looked sort of lame IMO.

Just how bad is the original engine ?

Hangin with Neck and GTO The Restore Kid's Avatar
    The briggs 5 horse (if it is a 5 horse) is 206 CC.. But it's a flat head that turns 3,600 and makes more torque, as to where the honda 200 is an OHC motor with less torque but spins faster..

The honda has more power because of the 5 speed transmission behind it.. If you wanted to spend the money for a TAV unit like mentioned it would have plenty of power to go you around the yard and stuff.. If you wanted to dump 300 bucks into the engine with a TAV hell it would probably outrun the 200 Honda.. It would weigh a hell of a lot less I know that..

It's been done before but is not very practical..

Those Honda 200 engines are great machines.. If it's a 200-M or 200-S there probably isn't much wrong with it..

I do think you've go that mixed up, the OHV motor or OHC will produce more torque than a flat head ....... Don't get me wrong there good engines(love mine), but they ain't that good....

And yes you can use a tav. I've done it like most every one here knows, I used one on my Murray 3 wheeler. but the only reason it's so fast and torquey is because of the modified engine and that the fact it weighs under 200lbs.

With that being said Tav's and big industrial engines are what make us mini bikers /trail bikers use to keep up with quads and 3 wheelers, but when the days over, the 6speed OHC engine still wins

The briggs has a 6 pound iron flywheel.... About 12 times the rotating mass of the 2 pound aluminum one in the honda

Yours has an aluminum flywheel? Mine has a cast iron one. Both of them

What is it?? a Honda 3 wheeler?

Hey the S is a 185 isn't it? Theres a 200 s X though I'm pretty sure..

What kind of 200 are we talking here? If it's not an X it probably hasn't got much wrong with it... Ten times easier and cheaper than building a briggs bike with no experience..
    Last edited by The Restore Kid; 02-28-2011 at 07:09 PM.