`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > More than two wheels.

More than two wheels. This is the place to talk about go-karts, trikes, four-wheelers and your non-mini bike projects!

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

How to remove a wheel from an axle?

How do I remove the wheel from the axle? I got new tires and I need to take the wheel off to put them on, so how do you get it off? Is there a special trick or tool needed? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
C9H13NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttleproblems View Post
How do I remove the wheel from the axle? I got new tires and I need to take the wheel off to put them on, so how do you get it off? Is there a special trick or tool needed? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
What minibike are you working on?
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Depends on how your kart is setup, on mine it's as simple as removing the nut on the end of the axle and sliding it off

Pics might help
joekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Supernova- Im working on my kart
Joekd- It has a live axle that has threaded ends which the nut goes on, I removed the nut, but no matter hat I do I still cant get the wheel to budge.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

If it is a keyed axle you will want some wd40 and a rubber hammer if they dont just slide right off, if you dont have one use a board and a regular hammer just dont hit it too hard or in the same place twice! Go all the way around as many times as it takes to remove it and put some axle grease back on when putting them back on to make it easier next time!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Correct, it is a keyed axle. So, rubber hammer + wd40 = my wheel should come off?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttleproblems View Post
Correct, it is a keyed axle. So, rubber hammer + wd40 = my wheel should come off?
If there are no lock collars and you can see the shaft in the wheel hub then it should in theory come off with some coaxing, just be as gentle as possible so as not to destroy anything!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

what is a lock collar?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Like a clamp or the collar on a clutch with the set screws, they go on a keyed shaft to lock things in place or limit movement, chances are you have some on that kart somewhere on the rear axle. Your axles look like they are grooved on the end for a washer and clip to hold the wheel on, if those are off then the wheel should come off as I saw no lock collars in the pics of your kart. They probably just are frozen by rust and time, be patient and let the wd40 work and keep checking and spray some more!

Last edited by supernova; 06-14-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hangin with Neck and GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Like a clamp or the collar on a clutch with the set screws, they go on a keyed shaft to lock things in place or limit movement, chances are you have some on that kart somewhere on the rear axle. Your axles look like they are grooved on the end for a washer and clip to hold the wheel on, if those are off then the wheel should come off as I saw no lock collars in the pics of your kart. They probably just are frozen by rust and time, be patient and let the wd40 work and keep checking and spray some more!
Yeah thats about the best you can do is soak the hell out of them and let the stuff sink in.. You can heat the hub with a torch and try to swell it up slightly bigger to release it's grasp on the axle too..

If ya get em off and go to put the new ones on... Not only grease them but use a file to run over everything and make sure there are no burs, rust deposits, that kind of thing on the axle or keyway.. AND inside the wheel hub.. That kind of stuff causes problems too.. If it doesn't slide right on and off like nothing, something is wrong.. And beating on them just makes stuff worse.. Gentle taps trying to get it off for the first time is one thing.. but after it's off, you should never have a problem ever again if ya do it right..
The Restore Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > More than two wheels.

Tags
axle?, remove