`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Project Logs

Project Logs This section is for write-ups, how-to's and project logs.
ASK QUESTIONS IN GENERAL MINI BIKE TALK - IRRELEVANT THREADS WILL BE DELETED

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Western Flyer ss300

Got most of the parts I need and been tinkering a little with it so I'll start a build thread. The bike is a Western Flyer ss300 I bought it off a buddy that abandoned it as a project. Entire bike had multiple layers of paint as seen on the rear fender on this pic, He stripped the bike down and got it got it pretty close to ready for paint and gave up.

Th frame is in great shape no pits or damage smooth tubing all the way around. The wheels were still rusted and pitted when I got it so I blasted them, welded up some holes and just recently finished painting them. I sprayed the halves with silver the insets with black and then cleared them with automotive urethane clearcloat (not a great pic but they came out nice)

I have decided to use a sloppy repro Rupp seat I had from a bike a recently parted out. The seat, or cover at least, is new but its nothing like the real Rupp seats were. So I figure I'll make use of it on this bike. I also just got my order from OMB warehouse in today which was new fenders, brake parts, chain, etc...

The motor in the frame is from my Cat 350ss I had. There is an internal problem in it. I will be tearing it down to see what needs to be done. Worst case I have a fresh 3.5 short block thats been sitting around to either swap out or pull parts from.

I'm getting ready to paint the frame, Not getting dark here till late and the clearcoat that I bought is very forgiving so I can get some stuff done in the early evening after work. Still stuck on choosing a color though For actual automotive base coats I have black, red, some silvers. I can spray it with just about anything out of a rattlecan and lay the clear over it as well, but I would like to use actual basecoat for better durability.

I did a search on ebay for Western Flyer decals to see if there was anything I could make use of. There actually is alot of neat decal repros for the WF bicycles. I emailed one seller and he said he could enlarge just about any of the decals he was making for a few bucks more, so I am comparing a few and trying to find a good fit for that forkplate.

I was thinking about something as simple as this:

maybe even something like this:

Old 06-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like the second one. Your project is coming along real nice.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool, a Marcus build.

Guess the style of decal, depends on the color you choose.
Look forward to this project as your build history is stellar.
buckeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

I like it I think the second decal matches with the Tecumseh decal on the engine a little better than the first.
Mr.GhettoRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice project, did my wheels the same way, painted mine a medium metalflake blue, with the Honda 5.5 and the longer wheelbase this is one of my favorite riders at this point..........Keep the pics comming!.............Tom.
the beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Between working on my truck, trip to home depot, and yardwork I found a few minutes to mess with the WF. I drilled some holes in the new fenders I got from OMB to do some test fitting, finished the wheels and mocked it up to see how it would look.

I really like some of the little touches that MTD did with this frame, but my favorite thing of all are the bolts for the wheels. They are pointed, after a little polishing up I think they look cool as hell even though they are not real noticeable

I'm torn between red or black now for the frame, still torn on decals as well, the 2 I posted are just the tip of the iceberg for choices actually. I did blow up that bigger one I posted, printed it and cut it out to try on the fork plate. Its not bad. I would like a hint of gold here and there since that seat has the gold piping.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

THAT'S A NICE ONEGREAT JOB MARKUS
YOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wanted to take the boat out today but theres no getting into the boat ramp down the street thanks to everybody and their brother wanting to do the same thing Good thing I guess as I wanted to try out some slight changes I made and I am sure that the PO-PO is out in force and they tend to frown upon you doing 60mph through the inter coastal waterway

So I stayed in the garage and started working on the WF. I welded up the 2 holes for the original chainguard that were at the rear of the frame, Stripped it back down and wetsanded the frame. Last shot before some color:

The whole time I was wetsanding I was trying to make a decision on the color. I went through a bunch of paints a buddy had given me before he moved. I was pretty set on Victory red (chevy color) but this morning when I was welding I decided to dig out one of the Bonanza's and weld up some holes a previous owner had drilled into it and I was reminded that It was originally red so I figure I'll save that paint for that one. So next choice was Black, I had some solid Ford Black, and some Black with "effect" in it, just a hint of metallic, I chose that one because I have alot of it Its Nason/Dupont-which I cant stand but it was free

As I write this I am waiting for it to set up some more, couple of weird spots in it. I think I may have not mixed enough in enough activator, plus all this product is pretty old. It looked like it was setting up good so I I'll give it a little time and go back out and mix up some clearcoat.

Peekster is sending me one of his chainguards that I will use for this bike, still undecided on a decal as of now. If the clearcoat cooperates I'm gonna clear a spot and start on the motor.....if it doesn't, I'm gonna run it over with my truck
Old 07-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh no, not run it over with the truck.
buckeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Oh no, not run it over with the truck.

Success! Suns going down so I could not get a good shot of the color It changes quite a bit depending on intensity of light though.

Now if I can just keep my grubby hands off it for the rest of the night I may not F**k it up!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Project Logs

Tags
flyer, ss300, western