Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I use a combination of Minerial Spirits and Paint Thinner in a HF Ultrasonic Cleaner to do my carbs. So far its worked real good.

After several days of soaking in the new carb cleaners and no results, we tried vinagar. It freed up the check ball in a briggs fuel pick-up, should work for the tecumseh checkball too.

I bought one from Napa ( I get a discount there ) and it works good.
    time for another story. I was checking for a no heat call on a Lennox gas furnace, and found real bad burners and the heat exchanger was full of gunk. I found sitting right below the furnace a slightly open 5 gallon can of professional carb cleaner that had sent all the fumes from that fluid into the furnace burn chamber. The can was almost empty the man of the house was a Ford Mechanic and said he thought it was closed up tight. It did 15 years of ageing to that furnace.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MB165 View Post
    Does anyone boil carbs anymore? Sounds crazy but before we stopped rebuilding carbs at the shop we saved quite a few by boiling them, especially when the little plunger on the tecumseh carbs wouldnt rattle, freed em right up.
    I never tried that.

Sounds like a very smart trick.
    Going to throw out a thought now.

Maybe a boil with a little washing soda to push the PH up and help dislodge the varnish.

Since talking about boiling things.
    I remember Gramps boiling old batteries to clean the plates in a big wash tub.
    Then we would refill them with acid and try and squeeze a little more life out of them.
    Point to my ramble is we often forget how effective a little heat and water can be to clena things.

I have had great results using vinegar, but you need to degrease the part first. I use laundry detergent and water to degrease, then 10-15 minutes in vinegar. You have to then rinse and brush the parts with water to be sure to remove all traces of the vinegar or there will be spots of corrosion later. White vinegar is 5% acetic acid and is about $2.00 at the grocery store. The ability of vinegar to remove varnish from old gas is impressive. The vinegar gets dirty after a few carb cleanings and then it can be used to remove rust on parts. I have soaked chains overnight that were rusted solid and they are very useable afterwards.
    Last edited by JustEnough; 04-29-2011 at 12:51 AM.

I have used vinegar on corroded carbs to clean them up , I heard that boiling in vinegar works too. And yes it has to be cleaned off well because vinegar is a mild acid.

A like to have a 5 gal bucket of NAPA # Mac 6505 around, its just a general parts cleaner read the msds some potant stuff.

I have been using "Engine Tune-up" spray for years. I learned about this stuff while working on outboards. OMC and Yamaha sell it. You can also get the same stuff from any general Motors dealer. The may call it "Top Engine Cleaner" or something similar.
    The solvent is designed to be sprayed into a running engine to loosen carbon deposits and free sticking piston rings and valves. Believe me, this stuff works! Half the performance problems on old outboards is from sticking rings because of the cold water cooling effect and two stroke oils.
    Getting back to cleaning carbs, This stuff absolutely eats gum and varnish left from old fuel. Just hose everything down with this and wait a while before rinsing with gumout spray or contact cleaner.
    Then pick up some mag wheel cleaner (the etching kind that is the strongest) and clean everything again, but use hot water to rinse off parts, and don't leave things soaking for more that a few minutes at a time. Repeat the wheel cleaner process as needed. blow out all the passages and jets.
    You will now have a clean and shiny carburetor!

Rad

That "New" Chem dip is not the same as the old stuff; the old Chem dip would have melted that plastic basket in a New York second.
    IF you go to Mexico... yep you can get some of the old stuff, the real McCoy, will melt your socks off and also melt the can it comes in (Also says Berryman on the can)!
    As said Dichloromethane is good and nasty but hard to find and not available over the counter due to issues, but in Mexico..
    I used to repair printers years ago and we used a mixture of Benzene, acetone, 3608 Lacquer thinner and a 90% solution of Alcohol to clean our printers with and found it worked well on carbs too, we all had our own idea of how we mixed it but the Benzene, acetone and Lacquer thinner alone worked well 1/3 each. Might add some gas or diesel to slow down the evaporation though and keep it sealed in an airtight container all the time. Store it in the backyard!
    Do not store this brew inside as it can spontaneous ignite on its own, rags and towels HAVE to be disposed of in a sealed container as they WILL catch fire if left in the trash.
    So not burn them in the BBQ as it makes the food taste funny (also toxic).
    Just for the record here, most engine cleaners that are aerosol are little more then dishwashing liquid and diesel fuel mixed (and a foaming agent).

Quote Originally Posted by oldbugger View Post
    That "New" Chem dip is not the same as the old stuff; the old Chem dip would have melted that plastic basket in a New York second.
    IF you go to Mexico... yep you can get some of the old stuff, the real McCoy, will melt your socks off and also melt the can it comes in (Also says Berryman on the can)!
    As said Dichloromethane is good and nasty but hard to find and not available over the counter due to issues, but in Mexico..
    I used to repair printers years ago and we used a mixture of Benzene, acetone, 3608 Lacquer thinner and a 90% solution of Alcohol to clean our printers with and found it worked well on carbs too, we all had our own idea of how we mixed it but the Benzene, acetone and Lacquer thinner alone worked well 1/3 each. Might add some gas or diesel to slow down the evaporation though and keep it sealed in an airtight container all the time. Store it in the backyard!
    Do not store this brew inside as it can spontaneous ignite on its own, rags and towels HAVE to be disposed of in a sealed container as they WILL catch fire if left in the trash.
    So not burn them in the BBQ as it makes the food taste funny (also toxic).
    Just for the record here, most engine cleaners that are aerosol are little more then dishwashing liquid and diesel fuel mixed (and a foaming agent).
    sweet baby jesus, you can still get the original chem dip in mexico? holy crap, i may have to make a trip...