`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Tecumseh Engines

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tecumseh 2 stroke engine Snowblower

Anyone ever try to use one of these in a minibike ? they seem to 4 or 5 hp these days and all over Craigs list ,, since I dont have one is the crank size right ? Enough Torque to pull around a mini ? Just asking ?
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hangin with Neck and GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
Anyone ever try to use one of these in a minibike ? they seem to 4 or 5 hp these days and all over Craigs list ,, since I dont have one is the crank size right ? Enough Torque to pull around a mini ? Just asking ?
I did... just before I built the Suicycle, I still had the Tomos with 1/2 the engine missing. I rigged one of those Tecumseh 3 horse snow blower motors on it that has the clutch already on it.. I ran a jack shaft and geared it for around 30 at 7,000 I was guessing. two stroke and all.. It worked pretty great I guess.. The carb never was quite right.. It was screwy I think.. But yeah it worked fine. They aren't the best motor in the world and they don't really rev over about 6,500 I don't think but yeah they work about like you'd expect a 3 horse 2 stroke cheapy Tecumseh snow flipper motor would be capable of.. They work pretty great for 25 bucks with a clutch already on them and running motor we'll say..
The Restore Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

That engine came from the UNIBLOCK family ( itself a decendnetd of another common tech 2 stroke developed by Lauson power products. Thats engine has an intersting history since it almost because an air cooled 3 cylinder marine engine Untill Tech bought them out and ruined the company. The 3 cylinder version was hidden in the old Lauson Engineering building attic for almost 50 years and forgotten untill Tech went tits up and the demo guys found it lucky it was saved ).

There is a high compression head used on the ICE AUGER version.
There is a read plate from the lawnmower version you can add and run 2 carb.

The rod is the weak point in the engine. Too bad no one made a Billet rod and invested somn effort into porting and upgrading these engines. They are dogs compared to a MC but they had some charm and potential not to mention VERY CHEAP...
Oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Older post but had to comment I recently put a tecumseh HSK850 on a pocket bike, and it ROCKS! Goes 40mph and is still pretty quick! Little extra effort in building a engine mount/plate, modifying the carburator to idle/have throttle control, throttle linkage, and exhaust but worth every second spent.
Trent81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like a neat set up but you should start a new post on your build and put some picture with it.

FYI,Shoe started this thread and he has past away since this was posted.
minibikedude is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Tecumseh Engines

Tags
engine, snowblower, stroke, tecumseh