Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tecumseh OHH60 - Governor setting

As you can tell by my previous questions/posts I am new to these engines, and learning alot from the collective knowledge on this forum. This is on a 2 year old 6HP engine: I have NO intention on removing the governor, however I do want to make sure it has the PROPER setting/adjustment. On this engine there are 5 holes (# 1 at the top to # 5 at the bottom) on the governor arm for the spring to hook into.Currently, on my engine the spring is hooked into hole # 1 (the top hole)- Is that the correct hole for optimum performance for the engine used on a mini-bike? I ask because I am having some idling problems and was wondering if the two issues are related?
    Thank you

mines on the bottom but not my prob the govenor used to kick that arm when the engine would bog down and keep the it runing as low idle as i wanted but i took it out now it wont kick that arm and i have same exact prob as u

I know the overall function of the governor itself, but what is the purpose/function of these different governor spring settings (holes)?

Thanks Ogsigh for the reply. can anybody else help me out with the proper governor arm (spring) settings and their function on this engine?
    Thank you

the spring is normally on the 4th hole from the top of the gov. lever.

Thanks jrzmac for the information!
    Just curious, what is the purpose of the other 4 holes/settings? Does the governor setting (i.e., which hole on the governor arm the spring is in) vary depending on the use of the engine, for example; mini-bike, snowblower, generator, pressure washer, etc.?

I have no idea! one thing for sure is that Tecumsehs are notorious for having way too many holes all over the place!!! and if you have something in the wrong hole, things can get screwed up....i.e. why are there 10 holes on the throttle butterfly??? if you dont have the governor linkage arm in the right hole on the carb, the thing won't run!!!!!

I moved it down to the #4 hole from the top. I noticed, however, that the spring is now quite loose/slack as it does not have to reach as far. There is no spring tension on the governor arm at all- that does not seem right to me. I suspect that this governor had been monkeyed with by the previous owner, and that might not even be the correct spring on there.

take the spring off and cut an inch or so off. then reattach. on the 4th hole!

Quote Originally Posted by creia View Post
    As you can tell by my previous questions/posts I am new to these engines, and learning alot from the collective knowledge on this forum. This is on a 2 year old 6HP engine: I have NO intention on removing the governor, however I do want to make sure it has the PROPER setting/adjustment. On this engine there are 5 holes (# 1 at the top to # 5 at the bottom) on the governor arm for the spring to hook into.Currently, on my engine the spring is hooked into hole # 1 (the top hole)- Is that the correct hole for optimum performance for the engine used on a mini-bike? I ask because I am having some idling problems and was wondering if the two issues are related?
    Thank you
    Here's all the pics on the links: 6 hp tecumseh throttle linkage