`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Tecumseh Engines

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tecumseh OHH60 - Governor setting

As you can tell by my previous questions/posts I am new to these engines, and learning alot from the collective knowledge on this forum. This is on a 2 year old 6HP engine: I have NO intention on removing the governor, however I do want to make sure it has the PROPER setting/adjustment. On this engine there are 5 holes (# 1 at the top to # 5 at the bottom) on the governor arm for the spring to hook into.Currently, on my engine the spring is hooked into hole # 1 (the top hole)- Is that the correct hole for optimum performance for the engine used on a mini-bike? I ask because I am having some idling problems and was wondering if the two issues are related?
Thank you
creia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

mines on the bottom but not my prob the govenor used to kick that arm when the engine would bog down and keep the it runing as low idle as i wanted but i took it out now it wont kick that arm and i have same exact prob as u
ogsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

I know the overall function of the governor itself, but what is the purpose/function of these different governor spring settings (holes)?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Ogsigh for the reply. can anybody else help me out with the proper governor arm (spring) settings and their function on this engine?
Thank you
Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

the spring is normally on the 4th hole from the top of the gov. lever.
jrzmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks jrzmac for the information!
Just curious, what is the purpose of the other 4 holes/settings? Does the governor setting (i.e., which hole on the governor arm the spring is in) vary depending on the use of the engine, for example; mini-bike, snowblower, generator, pressure washer, etc.?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have no idea! one thing for sure is that Tecumsehs are notorious for having way too many holes all over the place!!! and if you have something in the wrong hole, things can get screwed up....i.e. why are there 10 holes on the throttle butterfly??? if you dont have the governor linkage arm in the right hole on the carb, the thing won't run!!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I moved it down to the #4 hole from the top. I noticed, however, that the spring is now quite loose/slack as it does not have to reach as far. There is no spring tension on the governor arm at all- that does not seem right to me. I suspect that this governor had been monkeyed with by the previous owner, and that might not even be the correct spring on there.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

take the spring off and cut an inch or so off. then reattach. on the 4th hole!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creia View Post
As you can tell by my previous questions/posts I am new to these engines, and learning alot from the collective knowledge on this forum. This is on a 2 year old 6HP engine: I have NO intention on removing the governor, however I do want to make sure it has the PROPER setting/adjustment. On this engine there are 5 holes (# 1 at the top to # 5 at the bottom) on the governor arm for the spring to hook into.Currently, on my engine the spring is hooked into hole # 1 (the top hole)- Is that the correct hole for optimum performance for the engine used on a mini-bike? I ask because I am having some idling problems and was wondering if the two issues are related?
Thank you
Here's all the pics on the links: 6 hp tecumseh throttle linkage
MikeBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Tecumseh Engines

Tags
governor, ohh60, setting, tecumseh