Help with Tecumseh H35 oil leak

Hi new member here,

I was given what I believe to be a Trail Horse mini bike yesterday. Missing the throttle cable/handles, spark plug, bad gummy gas, and bad rear tire.

I cleaned the carb, changed the oil, added a new spark plug and it fired up after a few pulls. After running on the stand i noticed I was getting oil spray out of the governor shaft on the back of the motor. I suspect the crank case breather is stopped up can anyone confirm this? Anyone know where to look?
    Either way, I got the back tire to hold air for about 2 minutes and I took it for a spin around the yard! Man this think is awesome, never had the joy of riding a mini bike, these things are addictive.

It does sound like the crankcase vent is stopped up. It is a little short hose hanging down from the valve cover.(small rectangular cover on block below the intake and exhaust port). There is a pcv valve of sorts there that the hose attaches to.
    Last edited by jimh; 07-22-2008 at 08:09 PM.

I checked the breather cover, and sure enough it was packed with dirt. I have the cover off now, cleaned it out with a wooden pick and got it fairly clean.

Is the governor shaft usually loose in the case? It seems like a decent amount of play but I'm not sure. I am going to get a carb kit for this engine and some various gaskets and stuff and try to get it running smooth. I have some wobbly sprocket and chain issues and a new rear tire, then I should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mcanders View Post
    I checked the breather cover, and sure enough it was packed with dirt. I have the cover off now, cleaned it out with a wooden pick and got it fairly clean.

Is the governor shaft usually loose in the case? It seems like a decent amount of play but I'm not sure. I am going to get a carb kit for this engine and some various gaskets and stuff and try to get it running smooth. I have some wobbly sprocket and chain issues and a new rear tire, then I should be good to go.
    The Gov shaft has a little play.

Are you sure the oil level is right?

On a level surface I filled the crankcase with oil until I could see it touching the threads on the fill hole. I do this with all my small engines with this type fill hole. I will need to change the oil (it was very dirty) once more when I get it going, looks like 21oz in the book I have. I will check it once more before the next startup, thanks.

21 ozs is more than a quart right?, I believe that the motor in question holds .6 qts, that's 6 tenths of a qt which is a little over a half of a quart from empty.dave

32oz = 1qt

Quote Originally Posted by mcanders View Post
    On a level surface I filled the crankcase with oil until I could see it touching the threads on the fill hole. I do this with all my small engines with this type fill hole. I will need to change the oil (it was very dirty) once more when I get it going, looks like 21oz in the book I have. I will check it once more before the next startup, thanks.
    Ok, sounds good. I just had to ask to eliminate the first thing to look for. I would change the oil NOW, I can't stand running an engine with bad oil and you don't know what they used anyway!

Hopefully the breather cleaning works, I've never seen one "spray" out the gov before.