`
OldMiniBikes.com Home Page Vintage Mini Bike Forum Vintage Mini Bike Pictures
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Tecumseh Engines

Become a Supporting Member of OldMiniBikes.com today and enjoy less advertisements, unlimited photo hosting, and many other benefits listed on this page. Supporting Memberships help pay for bandwidth costs, software upgrades and the time that goes into this site.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Help with Tecumseh H35 oil leak

Hi new member here,

I was given what I believe to be a Trail Horse mini bike yesterday. Missing the throttle cable/handles, spark plug, bad gummy gas, and bad rear tire.

I cleaned the carb, changed the oil, added a new spark plug and it fired up after a few pulls. After running on the stand i noticed I was getting oil spray out of the governor shaft on the back of the motor. I suspect the crank case breather is stopped up can anyone confirm this? Anyone know where to look?
Either way, I got the back tire to hold air for about 2 minutes and I took it for a spin around the yard! Man this think is awesome, never had the joy of riding a mini bike, these things are addictive.
mcanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

It does sound like the crankcase vent is stopped up. It is a little short hose hanging down from the valve cover.(small rectangular cover on block below the intake and exhaust port). There is a pcv valve of sorts there that the hose attaches to.

Last edited by jimh; 07-22-2008 at 07:09 PM.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I checked the breather cover, and sure enough it was packed with dirt. I have the cover off now, cleaned it out with a wooden pick and got it fairly clean.

Is the governor shaft usually loose in the case? It seems like a decent amount of play but I'm not sure. I am going to get a carb kit for this engine and some various gaskets and stuff and try to get it running smooth. I have some wobbly sprocket and chain issues and a new rear tire, then I should be good to go.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanders View Post
I checked the breather cover, and sure enough it was packed with dirt. I have the cover off now, cleaned it out with a wooden pick and got it fairly clean.

Is the governor shaft usually loose in the case? It seems like a decent amount of play but I'm not sure. I am going to get a carb kit for this engine and some various gaskets and stuff and try to get it running smooth. I have some wobbly sprocket and chain issues and a new rear tire, then I should be good to go.
The Gov shaft has a little play.

Are you sure the oil level is right?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

On a level surface I filled the crankcase with oil until I could see it touching the threads on the fill hole. I do this with all my small engines with this type fill hole. I will need to change the oil (it was very dirty) once more when I get it going, looks like 21oz in the book I have. I will check it once more before the next startup, thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

21 ozs is more than a quart right?, I believe that the motor in question holds .6 qts, that's 6 tenths of a qt which is a little over a half of a quart from empty.dave
dave dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

32oz = 1qt
jondan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanders View Post
On a level surface I filled the crankcase with oil until I could see it touching the threads on the fill hole. I do this with all my small engines with this type fill hole. I will need to change the oil (it was very dirty) once more when I get it going, looks like 21oz in the book I have. I will check it once more before the next startup, thanks.
Ok, sounds good. I just had to ask to eliminate the first thing to look for. I would change the oil NOW, I can't stand running an engine with bad oil and you don't know what they used anyway!

Hopefully the breather cleaning works, I've never seen one "spray" out the gov before.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   OldMiniBikes.com Forum > General > Engines and Modifications > Tecumseh Engines

Tags
leak, tecumseh