Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lawn-boy biker View Post
    I don't think it, I know it.
    Mine came off of an edger and the label clearly stated it was a j-321.
    My 2nd one came off an old reel mower which was not usable as it had a splined shaft to turn a gear reduction unit.

The j-321 is very common on snow throwers and are painted black. The orange ones (such as yours) are somewhat earlier.

I do not use the original carburetor as it is far too restrictive. I opted for a Tillotson chainsaw carb.
    Original carb is good for utility purposes and not for gokarts or mini bikes.
    If you are planning to use a centrifugal clutch, the muffler has to go away as the clutch will not fit otherwise.Attachment 98913
    I have a question, I'm also trying to rig up a Jacobsen motor for a mini bike. Did yours have the governor arm? If it did, what did you do with it? I didn't see it in the picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Did yours have the governor arm? If it did, what did you do with it? I didn't see it in the picture.
    Governor and associated linkage will not operate with anything other than the original Walbro carburetor and were therefore removed and summarily disposed of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Ok, I gotcha. I'll have to remove mine. I have this carb I'm going to try. It's from a 2 stroke clinton.

Screenshot_20170809-203302.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    yes, my engine does have the governor linking in place, the engine is completely original. you can see it moving the throttle half way through the second video. i didn't even know what it was at first. i noticed it does work in conjunction with the original carburetor in a unique way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by evanfrucht View Post
    ok, if the shaft is an odd size i'll probably attempt to just make my own sleeve or something. it looks like it may be 3/4 inch and thats what im hoping.

If the shaft ends up being too short for a clutch you can still use a gear to jack shaft assembly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg View Post
    If the shaft ends up being too short for a clutch you can still use a gear to jack shaft assembly.
    thanks for the response. luckily my shaft is 3/4 but it is kind of short, the depth of my clutch matches up with the shaft as i remember. also, there's some unusual markings and grooves on the PTO that could possibly make it difficult to secure a clutch there... good thought about using a sprocket and jack shaft if it doesn't fit, i thought that could be a good option. i also noticed another thread discussing a clutch on the jackshaft and it works well apparently.
    Last edited by evanfrucht; 08-11-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by evanfrucht View Post
    thanks for the response. luckily my shaft is 3/4 but it is kind of short, the depth of my clutch matches up with the shaft as i remember. also, there's some unusual markings and grooves on the PTO that could possibly make it difficult to secure a clutch there... good thought about using a sprocket and jack shaft if it doesn't fit, i thought that could be a good option. i also noticed another thread discussing a clutch on the jackshaft and it works well apparently.
    Yes I forgot to mention clutch mounted jack shaft....I will need to do this on one of mine.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I did one up and put it on a tiny ex-electric pocket bike. It is now The Minioncycle. Son likes Minions, what can ya do? I was very attached to that engine. I like the quirky ones. I have a detailed shop manual in electronic form if anyone needs me to email it.

They aren't very strong motors as far as pulling full grown adults around though. And that tiny PTO needs to be extended for a clutch. Mine uses an outter sleave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12