Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Pardon me for lurking...

The 250 can be 80cc or 87cc. I think some of the late Super 250's were 87cc.
    They are great chainsaws. I have one that I pull out for serious tree cutting. They are heavy and I have to rest every few minutes!
    The block is very much like an early kart engine, except it has a fixed head. That makes it difficult to service, especially if it needs to be bored. That said, I have converted a few and they run nicely.
    Here is a great site for saw information:
    Model Profile: SUPER 250

2. Thanks Street Smart thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by scrambler1 View Post
    Pardon me for lurking...

The 250 can be 80cc or 87cc. I think some of the late Super 250's were 87cc.
    They are great chainsaws. I have one that I pull out for serious tree cutting. They are heavy and I have to rest every few minutes!
    The block is very much like an early kart engine, except it has a fixed head. That makes it difficult to service, especially if it needs to be bored. That said, I have converted a few and they run nicely.
    Here is a great site for saw information:
    Model Profile: SUPER 250
    Thanks for that. I bought it at a swap meet for $10 and in the shed it went. Haven't looked at it since. I believe it is the Super 250 and it looks older that the '70-'75 era. I'm surprised at the date on the link actually. Mine seems more rounded than the one in the pic. I was thinking mid to late 60's.

So what do I need to do to convert this one to a kart motor? I think I've read that I have to make sure it's got a stepped PTO. Other than that what would it need besides a mount? I will take some pics tonight and I will start a new thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Ideally, it would have a tapered crank, because Mac kart clutches (typically Max-torque) like that.
    I think Max-Torque will make a custom clutch if the crank is stepped or a few people make shaft adapters so that you can use a cheap clutch.
    You will need a kart type manifold, because the chainsaw manifold is part of the chainsaw 'housing'.
    And you need a mount. Several styles are out there. I thry to give my business to this guy:
    ClassicKartShop – Your one-stop-shop for original and remanufactured parts
    he sells mufflers too.
    Yell if you need info. I rebuild Clintons and Macs all the time.

terry

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTillotson View Post
    I will take some pics tonight and I will start a new thread.
    That would be great! The 'net has quite a few references to conversions, but no step-by-step with instructions and photos. Hey, maybe do a conversion and set it up on one of your older Stellar frames and enter it in the build off competition.
    Has anybody seen the bridge?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Dave View Post
    That would be great! The 'net has quite a few references to conversions, but no step-by-step with instructions and photos. Hey, maybe do a conversion and set it up on one of your older Stellar frames and enter it in the build off competition.
    Yeah it could be useful. Like yourself I've read about converting them but I've never seen a step by step with pictures. I shall do that!

For now here it is. I crept into my shed in the middle of the night. Sorry about the darkness of them. It's not a super 250 after all

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123