Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Power Products AH58 Tillotson carb

Anybody know of a later model Tillotson carb that will replace my HL 135B ? I heard that maybe an HL 166B would work. Any input would be helpful. Thanks !
    ITS EASY... JUST ASK ANYONE WHOS NEVER DONE IT BEFORE !!!

BONANZA BROTHERHOOD S.F.V. FTP/FTTH/FTAA

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Ed, I had a HL189 on my WB580 and it was really too small (venturi was less than 1" ) to do the job. The 166B is pretty small with a .625 venturi. If you are hell-bent on sticking with HL, give EC a call at 615-446-6807 and ask for their advice and let them know application, and any modifications done to the engine.

I went with a China copy from Vince at Classic Kart Shop who sells a 1" bore carb. It idles better than the Tilly's and I've had good luck with it so far as have many others. I did have to cannibalize the choke detent spring and slug to use the choke without a cable, but in hindsite, I didn't need the choke at all.

Here is the carb.

Here is the bike/engine I used it on. 580, with modified 820 reeds/cage, intake/stuffer.

Final1.JPG

With love, Havasu "OMB Douche Bag" Dave. ;)

3. Thanks ole4 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Thanks Dave. This 2 stroke stuff is new to me. Nice Bike !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    HL 306B, .750 venturi 1.005 throttle bore, has the choke, EC has them. Is the AH58 a kart engine or saw motor, saw motor intake manifold is small, you would want to increase the inlet size to 1 inch to take advantage of the larger carburetor.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Ya gotta love 2 cycle power plants.

I've been using a HL-239b .750 venturi carb on a 141cc case reed engine with good success. These are used on big Solo brand chainsaws.

Amazing mini you've created there Dave. I had no idea there are clone Tilly HL series carbs being produced now.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket86 View Post
    Amazing mini you've created there Dave. I had no idea there are clone Tilly HL series carbs being produced now.
    Thanks, I did a build thread on it a year ago. Louie Figone and a couple of other vintage kart guys recommended the clone Tilly as a possible replacement for what became an anemic HL after the engine modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by bigevilone2 View Post
    Thanks Dave. This 2 stroke stuff is new to me. Nice Bike !
    Ed, a couple of years ago, I didn't know anything. Louie took time out of his busy schedule to hold my hand through rebuild and tuning, from crank modification for the PTO bearing, to rod needle bearings, to spark advance. I should have mentioned him above in my earlier answer.

They aren't so intimidating now, and are far simpler than the Tecumseh four cycles. The HL189 I referred to as being too small for the modified 580 was perfect on my Clinton A400. That bike now sports a stock 58 exhaust, is much quieter, and the engine likes the back pressure even more than my neighbors.

There is more that I don't know, than what I do know on these vintage two strokes.
    Last edited by Havasu Dave; 05-08-2018 at 08:13 AM.

8. Thanks ole4 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by louie figone View Post
    HL 306B, .750 venturi 1.005 throttle bore, has the choke, EC has them. Is the AH58 a kart engine or saw motor, saw motor intake manifold is small, you would want to increase the inlet size to 1 inch to take advantage of the larger carburetor.
    Thanks for that info Louie !