Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

off-road Doodlebug 212 build by a newbie. Questions.

IMG_1255.JPGIMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPGIMG_1284.JPGIMG_1284.JPG

So I'm gearing up to ride the Gambler Mini Bike Enduro in Central Oregon in mid-May and I have a ton of questions about how to go about a build. I picked up a Doodlebug with the intent of making it off-road capable. Picked the bike up for $150, barely ridden, and quickly realized it is vastly under-powered. So I hit Harbor Freight and bought a Pred 212. I've lurked this sight a fair amount and haven't figured out what I want to know. So I ask you....
    *Do I want to run a clutch or a torque converter? And which one?
    *What is a good starting point for gearing?
    *I need to put a front brake on this thing. I have a lever, caliper, and rotor but where do I find a front wheel with a hub that
    accepts a disk?
    *Also, anyone have a source for an inexpensive aluminum/Honda/quality flywheel so I don't blow myself up?

So far I love the sight and I'm happy to have joined the mini bike world. Thanks everyone!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
    IMG_1255.JPGIMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPGIMG_1284.JPGIMG_1284.JPG

So I'm gearing up to ride the Gambler Mini Bike Enduro in Central Oregon in mid-May and I have a ton of questions about how to go about a build. I picked up a Doodlebug with the intent of making it off-road capable. Picked the bike up for $150, barely ridden, and quickly realized it is vastly under-powered. So I hit Harbor Freight and bought a Pred 212. I've lurked this sight a fair amount and haven't figured out what I want to know. So I ask you....
    *Do I want to run a clutch or a torque converter? And which one?
    *What is a good starting point for gearing?
    *I need to put a front brake on this thing. I have a lever, caliper, and rotor but where do I find a front wheel with a hub that
    accepts a disk?
    *Also, anyone have a source for an inexpensive aluminum/Honda/quality flywheel so I don't blow myself up?

So far I love the sight and I'm happy to have joined the mini bike world. Thanks everyone!
    Welcome,
    As far as a clutch or TAV... it's important to know the pros and cons of each. But first what type of terrain will you be riding in, sand, hardpack, hills, mud etc. I know you said offroad but what does that consist of in your area?

As far as gearing, that also depends on the terrain. I'm in Florida and it can vary from hard packed trails to super soft sand... so we like around 7:5 for gearing for our type of riding.
    7 might be a good starting point for you.

Front brake: find another doodlebug rear wheel with the disk brake already on it, put it on the front. Then you'll only need to weld a bracket for the caliper.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Clutch:
    Only one gear
    Works great and reliable if geared right.
    Easy to maintain
    Cheap to replace when the time comes.
    If you run a clutch with a jackshaft- gear changes are simple and cheap.

Also run a good quality kart chain. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Torque converter (tav):

Smooth engagement.
    Great low end AND top end speed if geared properly.
    As long as they stay clean and lubed they work well.
    May have to raise motor to fit TAV on doodlebug frame. (Not too sure because we only have a db with a js and clutch but had to raise the motor on our MB165 to add one)
    Sometimes belts can burn or get worn and break if everything is not lined up perfect.

Others may have more to add but that's all I can think off the top of my head. Like I said though, really depends on the terrain you'll be using it for. I'm more of a clutch guy but my son loves the overall range of our TAV bikes.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gbabins1; 04-11-2018 at 08:46 PM.

4. Thanks TheDullCarbide thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Hey Skallyway, what part of the O do you live in? I to am going to do the Gambler also, I live in Bend. I went and looked around at the site and it is really rocky out there! I have a doodlebug also and put a HF 212 and simply love it , it is also all stock. good luck and maybe we will see you there.

Royce

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    klrwk, I live in Yreka, Ca. so its a bit of a drive for me. I've raced the area on big bikes a few times and there are some stellar trails out there! I'm pretty excited to ride this ridiculous event, gonna be fun!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I can tell you that a doodlebug is tougher than people may think, I've taken a 2 foot retaining wall an down six more inches then landed in a parking lot at maybe 30mph and kept going but I've ridden since I was five years old however I was hoping something didn't break I was racing a neighbor block to block and took the "sweet jump" to gain a further advantage I'm too competitive. I'm no Jeff Ward but I can ride most any bike fairly well. I see you having a blast on this adventure, I just put together an OG Doodlebug the one that came with a 64 tooth sprocket it has a 70 now but the 64 is either going back on or an adapter for split sprockets will be acquired and I'll go 60 or 54 tooth. Maybe both and use two chains store each with it's sprocket when not in use might as well even have a freshly cleaned and oiled bushing clutch with it too. I'm going all out on this bike even going to design a custom seat worth of sitting on although the one I have now isn't terrible. I hope to get the go kart track we take my nephew racing at to allow an adult outlaw exhibition minibike race on the track after the cars are done. No kids and adults will have to have boots jackets helmets and good eye protection then let us go. I have another bike I think would be good but it's vintage. Anyway here is the orange crush DB:

"It seems that for success in science or art, a dash of Autism is essential."
    Hans Asperger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I'm getting excited! Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. I ordered up a TAV and I'm schemeing on how to adapt a mountian bike disk brake onto the front wheel on this thing. Also definitely going to move the footpegs back so I can actually stand and ride this thing. Possibly going to stretch the frame a little bit as well. 6"? I'm on the hunt for a little taller knobbie for it as well. More clearance and larger diameter for rolling over the rocks.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Suspension is your friend , a DB will beat you to death on trails !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
    I'm getting excited! Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. I ordered up a TAV and I'm schemeing on how to adapt a mountian bike disk brake onto the front wheel on this thing. Also definitely going to move the footpegs back so I can actually stand and ride this thing. Possibly going to stretch the frame a little bit as well. 6"? I'm on the hunt for a little taller knobbie for it as well. More clearance and larger diameter for rolling over the rocks.
    Another rear wheel is the easiest way to do brakes on the front, then just mount the caliper. OMB sells some spring cups and springs that you can use to make suspended forks. The lowers are going to be the biggest obstacle but if you can hammer some 1" DOM flat and drill a hole you can make some. I did some suspended forks for one but they broke, they needed a for plate to take the flex out from each side moving a little independently, I plan to slug and plug weld the broken leg and do a fork plate and get em back on a DB.
    "It seems that for success in science or art, a dash of Autism is essential."
    Hans Asperger

11. Thanks chipper, FOMOGO, Raskin thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    My experience with db30s off road is to keep the throttle on to glide over the bumps.. seriously a set forks and a plate under seat w 2" springs helps..also a 15" tire is biggest you can get for a db30..if you don't weld you can use these..cut the bottom of the forks off leaving about 6" and twist them over the tubes and using 1" bicycle seat clamps to mount them..the have abot 2" of travel,but better than nothing.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Shock...item2cc6988c46 IMG_20180418_134424.jpg .. IMG_20180418_134551.jpg. .. These pics are from member sprocket86 that he did on db30..you will also notice a mounting place on one of the shocks for a disc brake caliper that you could adapt..i hear the qg 50 caliper is not available..gl
    Last edited by Raskin; 04-18-2018 at 01:54 PM.