Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Detailed Rebuild How-to: Briggs 3hp Cousins

Starting a thread on these two kissing cousins. One is a 64 (???) 3hp and the other is a 74 3hp. Both are points engines, and have decent cylinder bores. I was able to source two 4 bolt PTO side covers. I also picked up two 2 quart tanks/carbs.

These will be my physical therapy once I'm off pain meds following surgery Tuesday, 29 November. Will also be mental therapy for my other half once I've driven her off the edge!

So, until then....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Wilderness~Knight Rider~Trail Bike~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Will be watching this one. Here's to a speedy recovery.

3. Thanks Dr. Shop Teacher thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Hey Doc,

Hope the surgery went well!

Looking forward to seeing these engines undergo their restorations - I'm certain they'll come out awesome just like your other work!
    Last edited by jackeo21; 11-29-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackeo21 View Post
    Hey Doc,

Hope the surgery went well!

Looking forward to seeing these engines undergo their restorations - I'm certain they'll come out awesome just like your other work!
    Hey, Jack! Unfortunately surgery was canceled today due to a major computer system failure. These two little guys get their refurb a little sooner than I expected. Hope all are recovering from the quake in NZ.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Cleaning and Disaassembly

While waiting for a new surgery date (and the weather was in the 70s), I power washed the two engines yesterday. I started disassembly on the 64 model.

The 64 was sprayed silver over the white original, so out came the aircraft stripper to get the silver paint off. Took a good 2 hours to get it all off and then it was degreased with mineral spirits and washed in the laundry sink.

Discovered Aircraft Stripper does wonders with carbon build up...brush on, let sit for a minute and then wipe away with steel wool.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Cracking the 64 Open

I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the 64. Minimal gunk in the sump and the crank is in beautiful condition. Valves were in pretty good shape for their age and should clean up well. There is still good crosshatch in the cylinder

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

The 74 looks great, too

The first photo shows the twin PTO side cover. I'm swapping cams and covers but look closely at the crank PTO. It's actually sleeved from 5/8" to 3/4" and held in place with a C-clip. The 64 has a 5/8" crank PTO.

Here the block with the sump cover off. Same thing, very little gunk in the case:

The 64 was caked in grease and oil...the cover bolts were just barely tight. The gasket peeled off nearly in one piece, as a result. Both engines are in terrific condition...more photos to come.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    What is your plan? To have 2 useable engines? Or are they gonna be worked over a little? I would love to see a step by step on one of these 3hp Briggs as far as what people are doing to get a little more out of them. I know @Carplay had one on a streaker I beleive that had some work done but don't remember a thread on it. I would like to do one but don't know much about the little Briggs. Keep us updated Doc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Looks like you've made a great start! I've never seen a 3HP with the double PTO shafts, I thought that was a feature only seen on the 4 and 5HP models.

Do you plan to make them both identical engines? That would be pretty neat to see!

I'm inspired to restart work on my little 2HP Briggs!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackeo21 View Post
    Looks like you've made a great start! I've never seen a 3HP with the double PTO shafts, I thought that was a feature only seen on the 4 and 5HP models.

Do you plan to make them both identical engines? That would be pretty neat to see!

I'm inspired to restart work on my little 2HP Briggs!
    Yeah what happened? You were posting some awesome build threads on engines. Get back in the garage and get to work. Those engines aren't gonna build themselves. Lol

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast