Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Correct B&S 3HP Engine for a 67 Taco 22

Wondering if someone can help me out with an engine question. I want to install a period correct 3HP Briggs & Stratton engine in my 67 Taco 22. My question has to do with the engine Model number, should it be a 80202? I haven't been able to locate a 80202 with a 67 Code but I did find a 80302 with the correct 67 Code number. What is the difference between a 80202 and a 80302?

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooming993 View Post
    Wondering if someone can help me out with an engine question. I want to install a period correct 3HP Briggs & Stratton engine in my 67 Taco 22. My question has to do with the engine Model number, should it be a 80202? I haven't been able to locate a 80202 with a 67 Code but I did find a 80302 with the correct 67 Code number. What is the difference between a 80202 and a 80302?
    Thanks
    The third digit refers to the type of carb the engine had. A "2" would be a "Pulsa-Jet"carb that uses a diaphragm (no float bowl) and the carb is mounted directly on top of the fuel tank. A "3" would be a "Flow-Jet" carb with a conventional float bowl that uses a separate fuel tank. A "period -correct" engine for your 1967 Taco would have been Model # 80202.
    Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Creia,

Thank you very much for the reply, it was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by creia View Post
    The third digit refers to the type of carb the engine had. A "2" would be a "Pulsa-Jet"carb that uses a diaphragm (no float bowl) and the carb is mounted directly on top of the fuel tank. A "3" would be a "Flow-Jet" carb with a conventional float bowl that uses a separate fuel tank. A "period -correct" engine for your 1967 Taco would have been Model # 80202.
    Michael

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    so the year is in the .....TYPE area?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by slow greg View Post
    so the year is in the .....TYPE area?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................al so in the steenstacominibike.com "pick your power plant" it shows a briggs and stratton 4 models..... a 80100 2.5 hp and 80132 with ball bearing PTO.......a 80200 series 3 hp 80202 aluminum alloy and a 80232 with a ball bearing PTO....then a 4hp 100200......and a 5hp 130200 model

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by slow greg View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................al so in the steenstacominibike.com "pick your power plant" it shows a briggs and stratton 4 models..... a 80100 2.5 hp and 80132 with ball bearing PTO.......a 80200 series 3 hp 80202 aluminum alloy and a 80232 with a ball bearing PTO....then a 4hp 100200......and a 5hp 130200 model
    Thats just a scan of a generalized article of engines that were currently available at the time and good to use for mini bikes from engine manufactures, so that may not jive with what Taco actually used. They seemed to favor the the ones without mount provisions on the side case covers, like the 80202.

and its the last set of numbers that have the year built in it....."code" set of numbers