Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

10hp OHV horizontal crankshaft replacements-- tapered to keyed shaft

Howdy, got a 10HP OHV horizontal off of a Coleman generator and it has the 4" x 7/8" tapered shaft (model 204412). Now comes to my question, are there any other crankshafts I could swap out that would fit the engine and have the keyed end instead? I looked all over the internet for my answer, or just a B&G forum, but found nothing. I thought I might give this site a try first.

Looked/searched for any modifications I could do to this engine, only found a few post about an 11HP on here. I guess for this 10HP I would jet carburetor, header, KN air filter, delete governor, and keep in under 5000rpm. Don't know what I am going to put it in yet, but it ought to be fun. Probably something off road and two wheels.

Appreciate any help/suggestions.

Have a good one,

Kirk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Well by golly, I should of searched here first! Looks like it will be the machinist job to straighten out the crankshaft. The shaft is over 4" long so they have plenty to work with.

My question now, again, is what length should I machine it to? I know to keep it 3/4" and cut in a 3/16" key way, but what are some of the shaft lengths on the 6.5 hp mini bike engines? I see 2 5/16", and all in-between. What would be a good length for attaching a TAV to it?

Again, thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Kirk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    What type number is on your engine. It's the #'s after the model #

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Is it 7/8 at the sump cover ?? Or 1 inch ??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    If you're planning on a TAV, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT make the crank a standard length. The driver on the TAV is very wide for a standard size PTO (although it does work very well). If you have the chance, do it right and make it long.

My Greyhound came with a 2 5/16" long PTO and most other engines seem to be in that ballpark. This only leaves about 3/8" of key engagement with the outer sheave. I say a 3 1/4" to 3 1/2" long PTO with a 3/16 keyway is the ticket. The keyway doesn't need to go all the way to the shoulder. If you can mill it to within a 1/2" of the shoulder you'll be golden. Also, for the center bolt thread, I use a 5/16-24 bolt. You have the privilege of choosing whatever bolt you want.

100_4377.JPG
    100_4378.JPG
    100_4379.JPG

Here's my Greyhound:
    100_4385.JPG

6. Thanks Havasu Dave thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I looked up his crank specs and it does come with a 5/16 center bolt. If he can get that shaft machined down for under 100 bux he will be good to go......

I agree with you on the advice Carbide...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Shaft is 1.172" at the sump cover, with maybe a 1/4" out passed the seal, then to 7/8", and the last 1.172" is the taper. The shaft is approximately 4.125" from the hub. The engine type# is 0156E2, and like you say it is all ready tapped for 5/16" NF. I was at Harbor Freight and measured their 8HP and their shaft was 2.75".

I'll have the machinist cut off the shaft at the taper and reduce remaining to 3/4"OD with a 3/16" keyway. That will give me almost 3" (sure sounded like I was degrading myself the way I said that).

Thanks for the tips/help fellers. Now to find a good machinist...

Kirk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkallen143 View Post
    Shaft is 1.172" at the sump cover, with maybe a 1/4" out passed the seal, then to 7/8", and the last 1.172" is the taper. The shaft is approximately 4.125" from the hub. The engine type# is 0156E2, and like you say it is all ready tapped for 5/16" NF. I was at Harbor Freight and measured their 8HP and their shaft was 2.75".

I'll have the machinist cut off the shaft at the taper and reduce remaining to 3/4"OD with a 3/16" keyway. That will give me almost 3" (sure sounded like I was degrading myself the way I said that).

Thanks for the tips/help fellers. Now to find a good machinist...

Kirk
    3" would be fine. Maybe not ideal, but it's way better than what Comet expects! I wish I could machine it for you but the hike from TX to PA is a tough one. Best of luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I do appreciate that Carbide...I found someone, whom I forgot, owes me a bunch of favors, and dropped it off last Friday for him to start machining. Again, thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.

Kirk