Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    That is an external CDI It should not have wiring other than a tab on it connected to the kill switch. When you ground the tab it gets shut off. If the gap is correct then just replace the CDI unit, they do go bad.
    Ole

2. Thanks FOMOGO thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    A word on magnetos and flywheels and rust. The presence of normal rust does not impede "spark." The system works on induction, not electrical continuity. Many of the small engine manuals actually address this.

The points however are a different story, and are quickly affected by higher resistance.

The reason for using a spark tester is because the spark acts differently under compression, than it does with a spark plug sitting on an engine. You can have a good spark on a plug sitting out of the bore and grounded, yet have a weak magneto, insufficient for firing the plug under pressure.

From your description, it seems to indicate you have either a bad magneto, or a bad plug wire. "Electrode Open" means that the electrode on your plug is not electrically connected to the stud on top of the plug. I've never seen this. Double check your connections on the tester, and definitely compare a known engine with the troubled engine.

You should also specify in this post which type of ignition system you are using, points, or magnetron (solid state). Note that these engines will generate an adequate spark at a magneto gap from .010 to .040 roughly, even covered in rust. You have a bad magneto, a bad wire, or points are malfunctioning.
    Has anybody seen the bridge?

4. Thanks FOMOGO thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Dave View Post
    A word on magnetos and flywheels and rust. The presence of normal rust does not impede "spark." The system works on induction, not electrical continuity. Many of the small engine manuals actually address this.

The points however are a different story, and are quickly affected by higher resistance.

The reason for using a spark tester is because the spark acts differently under compression, than it does with a spark plug sitting on an engine. You can have a good spark on a plug sitting out of the bore and grounded, yet have a weak magneto, insufficient for firing the plug under pressure.

From your description, it seems to indicate you have either a bad magneto, or a bad plug wire. "Electrode Open" means that the electrode on your plug is not electrically connected to the stud on top of the plug. I've never seen this. Double check your connections on the tester, and definitely compare a known engine with the troubled engine.

You should also specify in this post which type of ignition system you are using, points, or magnetron (solid state). Note that these engines will generate an adequate spark at a magneto gap from .010 to .040 roughly, even covered in rust. You have a bad magneto, a bad wire, or points are malfunctioning.
    I will double check my tester soon even though I already did more than once. I know nothing is wrong with the plug when I tested it on other motors as well. So I guess I should buy a new coil. I may be wrong, but if I buy a new coil, would this fix my magneto or wire problem, if that is what the problem is?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    You dont have a magneto! Your picture shows external cdi. No points just a ground tab like I posted above.
    Ole

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Does this motor have an internal low oil switch?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
    Does this motor have an internal low oil switch?
    Not sure exactly, how would I tell?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    There will be a wire coming out of the block for it. It is connected to your ignition system and shuts it down if the oil level is too low. I have had my mower cut out and seam like it was missing due to low oil. I am sure if the switch was bad it could cause problems that looked like an ignition issue. I believe you can just disconnect it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
    There will be a wire coming out of the block for it. It is connected to your ignition system and shuts it down if the oil level is too low. I have had my mower cut out and seam like it was missing due to low oil. I am sure if the switch was bad it could cause problems that looked like an ignition issue. I believe you can just disconnect it.
    There is a wire coming from the block. I changed oil to proper level so i know it is not low. If i disconnect (clip the wire completely off), can i bypass the sensor completely? just making sure i understand correctly. Thank you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    No it dose not effect the governor operation. Don't clip it off, just disconnect it. Make sure your motor still runs before cutting stuff out to make sure its the right wire. Run motor and shut it off with wire disconnected just to be safe. And just to be clear your talking about an electrical wire right? Honestly you don't have to cut wire out. Low oil switch just needs disconnected to be bypassed.
    Last edited by DeadPixel; 08-01-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12