Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Coop View Post
    For sure... But are the friction discs replaceable and readily available? Is the 3D clutch serviceable or are you stuck replacing the $100 clutch unit when it's no longer performing as it should? One main issue I have with it is the brake/clutch lever and the fact that the bike I would like to run it on has dual master cylinders for front and rear brakes already. Not sure how I would get around that? More questions than answers at this point...
    Brakes are over rated. Go Fred Flintstone style!

Parts seem to be listed on their website:

https://3dmotorsport.net/collections...t-clutch-parts

This one I am still interested in.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Yeah I noticed that all the parts appeared to be readily available after making that post. Brakes are not over rated when you have a mini bike that does 60+ and ride in/with traffic... I will try the 3D clutch on a drag only bike, but it doesn't seem like it would be the best option for my white DB. I'm not willing to lose my front brake...
    Steering towards a converter, but I will be trying an all new motor here shortly, so for now I am sticking with the Stinger clutch, but changing drivers from a 14t to a 12.
    Last edited by Daniel Coop; 12-06-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Daniel Coop, you know what would be cool to build and i don't think it would to hard to do. it's little off for maybe drag racing and all.
    thinking a guy could build a two speed disc clutch setup. crazy coming out of the hole real fast with a built motor and banging second gear.
    more of a novelty thing and all. but it would be funny to here a minibike chirp second gear....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Daniel, I'm going to swap a TAV2 converter for the PMR jackshaft kit. I'm needing a better setup for the stronger motor, so this ended up being what I've decided to try.

PMR Jackshaft Kit Warrior/MB165/200

Not sure if this would be a good system for your needs or not, but it's something to look into & ponder. They make several types which would work, but the Warrior is different than the DB. I like the ability to change gearing easily & fast, with minimal effort & have enough strength to stand up to a modded motor. Not sure how their kit clutch will hold up on mine, but there are plenty of other options out there with different gearing which would be simple to change, once the setup is running.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Funny you should mention that... I actually started out with the PMR jackshaft but I had nothing but problems with clutch engagement (I believe due to how you have to sandwich on the clutch on top of the jackshaft system and use a longer bolt to hold it on even though it's seemingly hanging 1/4-1/3 of the way off the crank) and stretched ruined jackshaft chains. It didn't work well for me but hopefully you have better luck with it. I was using it to go fast instead of building torque for big tires and had the jackshaft gears flipped around. I have had no issues since switching to clutch and straight chain. I'm just looking for a harder, faster launch and obviously belt drive seems to be the way to go. Like I said though, I will be playing with a whole new engine and some different gearing so I will see what's​ what. It's​ no slouch in it's current form, but always looking for a little more.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Hmmm, hope I don't run into the same thing you did with the chain & clutch. Was it an alignment problem that wouldn't work, or was there too much "run-out" with the clutch hanging off the shaft & a wobble at engagement that caused problems? I'm trying it on a built motor & don't know what to expect now. It should be here soon, so I'll have to see what happens...

One of the guys in Phoenix just got the 3d clutch system, but he didn't order the lever with his, so I'm waiting to see how it works out on the bike. Still think a Bully type is a better way to go in general for a launch on a drag bike. They run that type on the Harley nitro bikes, so it must be good for higher HP motors. Their V-twins on nitro are putting out about 800 hp, fairly insane on a launch.
    clutch.jpg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil View Post
    They run that type on the Harley nitro bikes, so it must be good for higher HP motors. Their V-twins on nitro are putting out about 800 hp, fairly insane on a launch.
    Apples and Oranges. They're called slider clutches and have been in use for a long time. Top Fuel dragsters with 10,000 HP are also using centrifugal clutches. Are you going to compare them with a $29 Max Torque? I agree though, the higher end centrifugal clutches are better than the 3D currently. Still, they did a decent job of engineering a clutch, but it is always limited because it's not running in engine oil, and will always be external to the cases mated to the PTO.

Quote Originally Posted by delray View Post
    thinking a guy could build a two speed disc clutch setup. crazy coming out of the hole real fast with a built motor and banging second gear. more of a novelty thing and all. but it would be funny to here a minibike chirp second gear....
    Years ago, around 1980, Vance and Hines were running a Suzuki dragster that did not use a clutch at all down the track. Instead, the shifter lever actuated a micro switch that shorted (killed) the ignition for a microsecond. This unloaded the transmission dogs long enough to hit the next gear with little loss of momentum and RPM. Holeshot makes one now and from the web I can see them taking credit for the design. But I distinctly recall the article on what Terry Vance was doing with the ignition.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to fashion a secondary transmission on a mini bike. A novelty of course, since the world is full of two wheeled machines with clutches that shift. At what point does a mini bike become a motorcycle. I think we're there already.
    Has anybody seen the bridge?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123