Steering problem

Sears 200, turns hard left but hardly turns right, send help

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    What is a Sears 200. Never mind, lol. I see now it is a go kart. I thought is was a mini bike.
    Last edited by manchester1; 05-14-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    "CLONANZA CLAN"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by manchester1 View Post
    What is a Sears 200. Never mind, lol. I see now it is a go kart. I thought is was a mini bike.
    Was this already in the Go Karts forum, was it moved or are you just stuck in a mental rut?

"mini bikes, mini bikes, mini bikes, mini bikes, mini bikes!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Bingo.

If the geometry is identical (LH and RH side) the next step would be to put scales under each front wheel. With you sitting in the seat weigh the front end with the wheels straight. Then lift the kart, turn the wheels and weigh again. There is a lot of info on this on the web. The front axle could be bent a little which would account for the steering asymmetry.
    Old karts are generally bent, but can be tweaked back into shape. The old method is to raise the front end and use a huge cheater bar to twist the frame back into equal weight. I don't know the king pin inclination on the Sears, but this generates the weight jacking effect. The inside front wheel lifts the inside rear wheel to "tri-cycle" the kart in the corner to reduce binding. Depending on the kart you could also put scales on the rear tires and steer left and right to measure a change.

I have one right now that is the same way...
    I hope this starts you on the right path. I'm hardly an authority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingo9991 View Post
    Sears 200, turns hard left but hardly turns right, send help
    I don't do house calls.

Check your front end alignment. If it has adjustable/threaded heim joints on each end of the steering assembly, make sure they are of equal length (if a single seat go kart) or that the wheels are facing completely forward with the steering wheel centered.

Most are completely adjustable. Just takes some fiddling around with.

Got pics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Perty sure I found the problem, this is at the bottom of the pit man arm, the nuts like an inch lon and the bolt is a quart inch, which explains the difference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    It is also terribly loose which explains the play in the wheel

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Your pitman arm needs to come down lower. It's probably anchored by the steering wheel, and your steering wheel looks like something someone replaced. Once upon a time, that was a decent kart. It would take some money and elbow grease to bring it back, but not impossible.

If it were mine, I'd remove the entire steering shaft and wheel. Then I'd get a replacement steering shaft, splined hub adapter, steering wheel, and pitman arm, as well as two support tubes, and weld it all up. All of that is available off of E-Bay for not too much, as Rupp Dart replacements. If you are interested, I might have everything you need used, except the steering wheel, which is new. Installation would require a welder to install pitman arm on shaft once shaft is cut to length, and shaft support tubes.

9. Thanks Bingo9991 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Dave View Post
    Your pitman arm needs to come down lower. It's probably anchored by the steering wheel, and your steering wheel looks like something someone replaced. Once upon a time, that was a decent kart. It would take some money and elbow grease to bring it back, but not impossible.

If it were mine, I'd remove the entire steering shaft and wheel. Then I'd get a replacement steering shaft, splined hub adapter, steering wheel, and pitman arm, as well as two support tubes, and weld it all up. All of that is available off of E-Bay for not too much, as Rupp Dart replacements. If you are interested, I might have everything you need used, except the steering wheel, which is new. Installation would require a welder to install pitman arm on shaft once shaft is cut to length, and shaft support tubes.
    I think I'm going to crank the wheel all the way left and grind the nut and bolt end half way down to make it work